2N6059 obsolete

Hi guys, Our purchasing 'guy' just told me the 2N6059 (npn Darlington in a TO-3 pack) has gone obsolete. There's a few hundred at newark, I told him to grab ~100. But is there another 'favorite' npn darlington in a to-3? I could stand something with less current/ power (4-5 amps is plenty.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

a TO-3 pack) has gone obsolete. There's a few hundred at newark, I told h im to grab ~100. But is there another 'favorite' npn darlington in a to-3? I could stand something with less current/ power (4-5 amps is plenty.)

How flexible is your PCB design? If i were you, i would take out the littl e Darling (the first stage) and just use the standard work horse TO-3 (i th ink everybody know that one!).

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

Den tirsdag den 5. november 2013 18.18.58 UTC+1 skrev George Herold:

a TO-3 pack) has gone obsolete. There's a few hundred at newark, I told h im to grab ~100. But is there another 'favorite' npn darlington in a to-3? I could stand something with less current/ power (4-5 amps is plenty.)

Newark has two part numbers (nte/multicomp) so ~400 in stock, and lists

2N6284 as a direct replacement digikey also have that one in stock

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

The "TO3P" plastic package can usually be stuffed into a TO3 location.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

in a TO-3 pack) has gone obsolete. There's a few hundred at newark, I told him to grab ~100. But is there another 'favorite' npn darlington in a to-

3? I could stand something with less current/ power (4-5 amps is plenty.)

tle Darling (the first stage) and just use the standard work horse TO-3 (i think everybody know that one!).

Hi Edward.. the design is from the (~1990's) I would rather not have to red o it. (The pcb is on an old winboard program...now defunct. I'd have to re do the whole thing.) Maybe I'd just try a FET today. I could shoe horn in my own darlington.. I guess. Well we'll buy 100 and put it off for severa l years. What's the standard TO-3 work horse? Sorry I don't know.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

The lower current Darlingtons don't come in a TO-3 so the 2N6284 is probably your best bet. There are some higher current ones available as well.

Reply to
sms

in a TO-3 pack) has gone obsolete. There's a few hundred at newark, I told him to grab ~100. But is there another 'favorite' npn darlington in a to-

3? I could stand something with less current/ power (4-5 amps is plenty.)

Thanks Lasse..sorry I must be getting lazy.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

ittle Darling (the first stage) and just use the standard work horse TO-3 ( i think everybody know that one!).

edo it. (The pcb is on an old winboard program...now defunct. I'd have to redo the whole thing.)

TO-3 layout should have a large copper area for cooling. There should be e nough space to add a tiny SMT first stage transistor. I have to look aroun d, but i think even a SOT-23 might be enough. You should be able to rework it from Gerber files, rather than the original program.

I guess. Well we'll buy 100 and put it off for several years.

I guess i am dating myself. 2N3055 was available long before 2N6059. You are probably too young to know 2N3055 projects.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

little Darling (the first stage) and just use the standard work horse TO-3 (i think everybody know that one!).

redo it. (The pcb is on an old winboard program...now defunct. I'd have t o redo the whole thing.)

enough space to add a tiny SMT first stage transistor. I have to look aro und, but i think even a SOT-23 might be enough. You should be able to rewo rk it from Gerber files, rather than the original program.

PS: If you send me the Gerber files, i'll do it.

.. I guess. Well we'll buy 100 and put it off for several years.

u are probably too young to know 2N3055 projects.

PPS: 2N3055 ($1.50) are still actively being designed and made. Adding a M MBT2222 ($0.05) should still be much cheaper than 2N6059 (>$3.00?).

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

e little Darling (the first stage) and just use the standard work horse TO-

3 (i think everybody know that one!).

o redo it. (The pcb is on an old winboard program...now defunct. I'd have to redo the whole thing.)

e enough space to add a tiny SMT first stage transistor. I have to look ar ound, but i think even a SOT-23 might be enough. You should be able to rew ork it from Gerber files, rather than the original program.

n.. I guess. Well we'll buy 100 and put it off for several years.

ou are probably too young to know 2N3055 projects.

You must be as old as me. I remember arguing with someone that it does not make sense to add the little Darling in the heavy power semi device and do uble the cost. I argued against 2N6059. I guess it takes decades to settl e it.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

2N3055 will probably be made almost forever.

--sp

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

e:

he little Darling (the first stage) and just use the standard work horse TO

-3 (i think everybody know that one!).

to redo it. (The pcb is on an old winboard program...now defunct. I'd have to redo the whole thing.)

be enough space to add a tiny SMT first stage transistor. I have to look a round, but i think even a SOT-23 might be enough. You should be able to re work it from Gerber files, rather than the original program.

Wow! No, no, I'd just have 'em air wire in a little npn. The 2N6059 sits on a back panel heat sink so it wouldn't be that much of a issue.

MMBT2222 ($0.05) should still be much cheaper than 2N6059 (>$3.00?).

Grin, we sell in the 10-20 per year range... price is not much of an issue until it gets near ~$100.

Thanks for the generosity. George H.

Reply to
George Herold

how long has the 2n3055 been around?

I know I got the last one I needed from Radio Shack- yeah, they stock these in some of the stores.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

e little Darling (the first stage) and just use the standard work horse TO-

3 (i think everybody know that one!).

o redo it. (The pcb is on an old winboard program...now defunct. I'd have to redo the whole thing.)

be enough space to add a tiny SMT first stage transistor. I have to look a round, but i think even a SOT-23 might be enough. You should be able to re work it from Gerber files, rather than the original program.

n.. I guess. Well we'll buy 100 and put it off for several years.

You are probably too young to know 2N3055 projects.

Since 1960s, will still be there in 2060.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

You could make a little board that soldered onto the pins of the 2N3055 and provided the "darling" little transistor. You'd need a collector connection, but that could be provided by a lug and a flying lead.

Or, find a 3-lug terminal strip so that your "air wiring" is nice and rugged. If you find one where the center terminal is also the mounting lug, that'll give you your collector connection.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

If it's externally mounted, easy enough to change to TO-220. You don't really need the TO-3 housing for 4A to 5A. If it's on PCB, a little more difficult.

Or cut off the top of the can and put in a doom skylight. Cut the base wire and re-route it to the little Darling (2N2222). There might even be enough room to put in an LED.

I'll find my 3055 and see how difficult that would be.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

They had Silicon transistors in the 60's?

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

Yes they did - I burned my fingwr with a 2N3055 in 1967.

--

Tauno Voipio
Reply to

Wikipedia: "The transistor is the fundamental building block of modern electronic devi ces, and is ubiquitous in modern electronic systems. Following its developm ent in 1947 by John Bardeen, Walter Brattain, and William Shockley, the tra nsistor revolutionized the field of electronics, and paved the way for smal ler and cheaper radios, calculators, and computers, among other things. The transistor is on the list of IEEE milestones in electronics, and the inven tors were jointly awarded the 1956 Nobel Prize in Physics for their achieve ment."

I burn my ears with 2N3055. They are mostly used for audio power amps and linear regulators.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

a TO-3 pack) has gone obsolete. There's a few hundred at newark, I told h im to grab ~100. But is there another 'favorite' npn darlington in a to-3? I could stand something with less current/ power (4-5 amps is plenty.)

Seems like the manu's are dropping the TO-3 package more than anything else . NTE will be making the NTE247 forever, same part.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred