2N2369 reverse Vbe avalanching, consequences?

How many times do I need to say GOLD? ...Jim Thompson

                    Age gets better with wine!

Regular TTL was about the last large-scale use of gold doping AFAIK.

It drops the storage time by increasing the recombination rate, which trashes the beta.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

It did not mame a difference. Could go higher on the base to ease saturation but then you get into lot-to-lot trouble with hfe.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

At least you've got a little more hair than I do farther up on the scalp.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Yep. If I let it all grow long I can play Santa Claus...

A few years ago a ~2 year old kid in a grocery cart, pointed at me and excitedly said, "Ho! Ho! Ho!" ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Perhaps yes for integrated circuits. Billions of 1N4148 class diodes are being made and some are still gold-doped.

piglet

Reply to
piglet

Trouble? At hFE = 10? What are you, operating it inverted..!?

Now I'm curious, what's your personal rule for hFE in saturation?

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

Modern power diodes (of the FRED type and such) are doped in such a way that they can achieve 600 or 1200V breakdown, while adding just enough Pt, or beta irradiation, to get carrier lifetime down to the 20ns range.

It's noteworthy that 1200V devices of any power handing seem to require more like 100ns, which should be because of banging into the combined limits of "how much heavy metal doping can we get" versus "how much breakdown can we sacrifice" versus "how lightly can we dope the junction to make it longer". (The ultimate limits being something like 4.6 or

6.6kV for a single Si junction, where recovery times are pretty humble, probably not using any heavy metals or irradiation.)

Tim

-- Seven Transistor Labs, LLC Electrical Engineering Consultation and Contract Design Website:

I wondered the same as you, George. I found this out:

Seems Hoerni developed gold-doping at Fairchild in mid-1959. The effect is to provide localized sites for hole recombination. In practice the downsides are increased forward voltage drop and increased leakage current. A lot of the fast p-n "logic" diodes like 1N914 are Au-doped. It works in germanium too.

and from:

IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices (Impact Factor: 2.36). 01/1977; ED-23(12):1279 - 1283. DOI: 10.1109/T-ED.1976.18650

I got this abstract:

"ABSTRACT Both platinum and gold have been used to reduce lifetimes in fast recovery silicon power devices. There are substantial differences between the energy levels introduced by these impurities. Both impurities introduce acceptor levels which act to reduce hole lifetimes in n-type silicon; however, the gold acceptor is much deeper (E c - 0.54 eV) than the corresponding platinum acceptor (E c - 0.26 eV). In p-type material, on the other hand, the two impurities are quite similar; gold introduces a donor at E v + 0.35 eV, while the platinum donor is at E v

  • 0.32 eV. In terms of basic physics, this paper establishes guidelines to determine, for a given device type, which lifetime killer should be used to provide optimal performance. Platinum offers improved high-temperature properties and turn-on performance when compared to gold and is a better selection for devices which are switched so rapidly that the turn-off is governed mainly by the high injection lifetime. However, when the switching wave form involves low injection recombination tails, gold is a better choice than platinum. "

regards piglet

Reply to
Tim Williams

A transistor contains silicon, phosphorous, boron, oxygen, nitrogen, oddball dopants like gold, and contaminants like sodium. A transistor run in breakdown will occasionally fail due to these moving around.

But, even transistors that are NOT gold-doped will fail this way. Why, oh, why, do you want to blame gold for the failure?

Reply to
whit3rd

Are you asleep? The subject is the 2N2369... a gold-doped device... to much heat or too much stress will move the gold to places it shouldn't be.

You need to read up on how gold-doped devices are processed... first off, the crudeness will astonish you. ...Jim Thompson

I see about equal hits for diffusion and ion implantation (usually followed by annealing, which will end up with much the same effect, but better dosed).

What's so crude about that?

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com
Reply to
Tim Williams

Gold has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Well, now, speaking about die-to-die (on same wafer) variations,, once upon a time there were dozens of 2N transistors that sorted out via testing of each transistor on one wafer; that was the norm (then).

Finally someone got the bright idea to do "laydown" (horizontal) diffusion instead of the "stand-up" (vertical) method. Took weeks to discover the new magic.

But many of the 2Ns simply vanished; one could tweak parameters for one part of the population and lose others. Lots of bullet biting and datasheet tweaking and discontinuance of 2Ns.

But transistor parameters became markedly consistent and reliably repeatable (wafer to wafer).

Reply to
Robert Baer

You mean I cannot have Heavy Metal Country & Western?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Nice, thanks. I guess that might explain the rather large reverse bias leakage from 1n4148's

BTW thanks for the report on Vbe avalanching in 2n3094's. I assume that the damage depends on local heating (in the base?) And so there is some energy * time type metric. (certainly some grad student must have measured all this.) Such that you can avalanche it forever at low current. But high current for a short time can kill it.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Ion implantation didn't exist when the 2N2369 was born. Gold was "painted" on the back of the wafer and then diffused in, stopped just as it reached the B-C junction... further "annealing" and it'll continue to even out throughout the die and _die_ ;-) ...Jim Thompson

2N2369? Are you dumb as a stump or just playing troll? ...Jim Thompson

There is none. If you try to keep a transistor just shy of saturation via reducing the base current then it might not work on the next lot because it almost won't turn on at all. Or it fully saturates because of higher gain.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Depending on your "level shifter" requirements you could use a Baker clamp, then no need for a 2N2369. ...Jim Thompson

There's this magical new circuit called the 'Baker clamp'. I hear the newfangled TTL uses it. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs