24V switching PSU?

Well, it would be through FETs operating as in PWM mode

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

intermittant

cuts

No argument.

--
  Keith
Reply to

If I went to Halted, chances are I could get a 5KVA transformer and the needed caps for less than the price of one supply.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

In article , Keith Williams wrote: [...]

It has a meaning:

It means you take the instantanious power square it, average it and then take the sqrt. The result may not be useful but it isn't as meaningless as measuring noise voltage in inches or something.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

In article , Rich, Under the Affluence wrote: [...]

Yes, but not for as long as the bolb would last on 120V AC.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

That's impressive. I wonder how ugly it would be if you put the 3.3 and the +12 in series through two high current diodes and tried to run a ham rig. Any thoughts? (No, Virginia, while there may be a Santa Claus there is no way I'll connect that setup to my IC746!) Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Pretty ugly. As far as I know, the outputs aren't floating with respect to one another - the +12 V and +3.3 V share a common ground. You might be able to do it with two power supplies, depending on if the secondary common is also common to the powerline or not. Alternatively, some people have opened up a PC supply and twiddled the regulation to boost the +12 V by a volt or two to run stuff that wants to be in a car.

If you had some time on your hands, you could build a circuit with some MOSFETs and some huge capacitors. Charge one capacitor off of the +3.3 V, then put it in series with the +12 V. Have another capacitor doing the same thing, 180 degrees out of phase. Or three capacitors at 120 degrees, to give each cap more time to charge.

Down to maybe 10 m, you might be OK, but below that, the switching noise from the supply may start to bother you. I know that there are switching supplies designed for ham radios that are alleged to have more filtering than a garden-variety switcher.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

I didn't say it couldn't be done, only that it ws meaningless.

As far as I'm concerned, it is exactly as meaningless.

--
  Keith
Reply to