230V pump water cooler converted to beer super-chiller

I just bought an awesome pump which looks brand new, surplus. Its a totton GP20/18. It says "230V 1 phase 60Hz 0.8amps". Im in the US so I need to run this off of 120VAC. I called Totton up and they said it will burn up the windings if I run it at 120VAC because it will spin too slow and its not designed for that. THey said its some "induction type" design and you cant just "switch the windings" or something. It only has three wires coming out of it, line, neutral, and ground. I bought it for $15 and it still has the protective caps on it so its probably brand new, the guy said they sell for $495! Is there some way I can use this pump? Its way overkill for what I need it for (beer chiller coolant pump) so maybe the totton guy thought I was going to run it with a heavy load or something and it wont burn out under light load. (does that make sense?) Is there some way I can convert 120VAC to

230VAC?
Reply to
acannell

A step-up transformer would be fine. Otherwise, there is 220V in most house, for your dryer and oven. You just need an adapter.

Reply to
linnix

These pumps are not worth much on ebay. Especially the 230v pump. Even 110 volt pumps can be had for not too much:

You can buy a carbonator pump and use it for a variety of purposes, like this use for my TIG water cooler recirculator:

They are plentiful on ebay.

Also, line and neutral are wires for 115v circuits, not 230. 230 has two line wires.

Transformers converting 115 VAC to 230 VAC are also plentiful.

Ignoramus19822

Well, if you're in the US, just connect it to the 230V, like your dryer and oven and water heater are plugged into.

But, did it come with a starting cap? You might need to buy a capacitor. Ask the guy about that - be sure that you know exactly how to wire it, and it should be fine - use a dual-gang circuit breaker instead of fuses, to interrupt both sides of the 230: they're both "hot".

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise