Super cryo cooler arrived today

The superconductortechnologies super filter with a super conducting RF filter and

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

No, dumbfuck. Proving that I can see by sight what a dumbfucktard like you has to look up AFTER it gets mentioned by someone else.

The point was that according to you retards, I would not have known what I was looking at.

You obviously do not.

Maybe in your next life, you'll get a bit of a clue.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

The framing of that retarded remark further proves that you are no more than a layman, and that at performing google searches, much less anything satellite related.

IOW, you are an abject idiot, as I have stated all along.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

Update For those who also want to venture into this sort of endeavour, and the curious.

All works OK, used 2 old PC supplies with the 12 V in series. Make sure you remove the ground on at least one...

Serial port seems to accept 19200 Bd, 8 data bits, no parity. Beware of hardware handshake, you do not need it, but if those pins are connected, the unit seems to toggle those lines, and may cause your communication program to get confused.

0:00:31:03> t System Temperature Report: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 BPF: --- --- --- --- --- --- BRF: --- --- --- --- --- --- Cold Stage: 79.76K 79.92K Cold Finger: 78.88K WR Cold Finger: 81K l System Control-Loop Status Report: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 BPF: --- --- --- --- --- --- BRF: --- --- --- --- --- --- System Error: +.06V
Reply to
Jan Panteltje

big + on ebay.

WOW, you really got a STEAL, here. I'm more familiar with high vacuum cryopumps, that use larger Stirling-like refrigerators that mostly run off a modified hermetic refrigeration compressor for the power source. They go chunk-a-chunk-a not buzz.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

lter

it yet.

ics.

drives the linear

t runs at all,

tuned to around 800MHz,

se alone are VERY expensive (perhaps 10,000 USD) new.

e:

..

How much cooling does it need? Air cooled or water cooled?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Says the complete and utter retard who is responding to the pommy dumbfuck.

Good job, dumbfuck. You both deserve each other and fit right in on the retard bandwagon.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

G > You're testing me now, Archie?

[...] Archie > The point was that according to you Archie > retards, I would not have known Archie > what I was looking at.

Didn't the link prove that you could have just searched with Google?

Reply to
Greegor

On a sunny day (Fri, 14 Jan 2011 16:40:04 -0800 (PST)) it happened George Herold wrote in :

It is air cooled, just a fan.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Update 2

So, next was to take it apart and get the crycooler out. ftp://panteltje.com/pub/super_filter/cryocooler/

Some technical stuff, first this seems to be, from the labels, a cryocooler from

The linear motor measures about 10.6 Ohm, and with a max RMS voltage of 117 V / 60 Hz the driver reporting going into it, that equals a power of about 1291 W, so obviously this is not true... Because I was putting no more than a hundred or so in from my power supply However it starts at a much lower voltage, maybe the linear motor impedance goes up when temperature drops. Something I need to check. The motor is between red and black wire, green does not seem to be connected. I left the bracket on to protect the helium seal, else a wrong move gets very expensive.

Next I will probably try to drive it from a big audio amp (2x 150W, maybe in bridge). This allows experimenting with frequency and amplitude, it seems to want 60 Hz, so I have to make 60 Hz, Europe has 50 Hz, no variac solution possible here. But maybe it will work on 50? Have to test that.

The 'cold' side is the copper colored end, the heat exchanger is that part that gets hot.

Interesting is the counter weight on the end, connected to a helical spring, it is not connected to anything, just dampens vibration.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

That's nice. I was going to say that the one I used years ago needed water cooling.... But now I'm not sure my memory is correct.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Update 2

The linear motor measures about 10.6 Ohm, and 200 mH or there about. That explains the 117 V RMS 60 Hz the original driver put into it.

So put it on the bass amp, 60 Hz in, 90 Vpp: ftp://panteltje.com/pub/super_filter/cryocooler/minus_40C_90Vpp_60Hz_img_2617.jpg withing 10 minutes about -40C, even with this low power.

The thing with the chips is my thermocouple interface, more about that here:

A home made thermocouple from resistor wire and transformer wire sticks in the cold end, The hot end thermocouple is not connected yet, I can feel that one anyway.

Every body should have one of those, this opens up a window for a whole lot of fun experiments, imagine a CCD sensor or CMOS sensor chip on the cold end, where you now see all that ice... There is some vibration, but to take pics you could switch off power to the motor for a moment.

I stopped at -40C, but it was still getting lower, and the heat exchanger was not even hand warm, and no fan connected.

It is a amazing cooler, can go all the way down to 70 K with the proper thermal isolation. And extremely simple to drive, especially when you are in country wit h60 Hz mains.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sat, 15 Jan 2011 09:25:14 -0800 (PST)) it happened George Herold wrote in :

One of those guys, or several, in the related blog have removed the heat exchanger and replaced it by water cooling. Does not look like an easy thing to remove, but maybe it can pull some more watts at the lowest temp range then.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Update 4

I used a different audio amp and 60.4 Hz to drive the crycooler,

90 Vpp from the amp into a 230 to 2 x 33 V ring core transformer, with windings in series and in reverse, to step up the voltage.

The idea is: 90 Vpp (from the amp) is about 31V RMS.

230 / 66 = 3.48. So this transforms the voltage up to 108 V RMS at 60 Hz. Just below the 117 V RMS the original unit reports as maximum. I ran the cryocooler on that, adjusted the frequency to the 60.3 Hz as is labelled on the 'resonator' counter weight. Within minutes it was at -90 C. Without cooling, without fan, It turns out that what I thought was a thermocouple to measure the crycooler's heat exchanger is in reality a NTC. So I stopped as I had no exact way to measure the hot side, and it should stay below 70 C. I could still hold on to it, so it was much lower I am sure. The test was just to see if I could drive it from a normal audio amp with the exact frequency. Of course I made sure that amp was putting out a nice sine wave all the time, no clipping. I dunno if the thing really needs a sinewave though, it is 200 mH inductive.. like a normal motor My theory now goes that this exact frequency is only determined by the mass of that resonating counter weight, but I am not sure. That *could* mean that by increasing the mass of that weight one could make a 50 Hz version. Requires a mechanical workshop and some experimenting I think. Also less strokes per second of th3 piston means less cooling I would think, so I am not going to try that.
Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Hi Jan.

I realise that these posts are somewhat old now but if you seel this, I wou ld value a minute of your time please.

As the unit arrives, the dewar at the bottom seems to be brazed / welded on - and I am a little cautious as I would rather not wreck the unit for the sake of a little research.

Can you please tell me what is involved in gaining access to the Cold Finge r, as it *appears* to be permenently attached.

I also note on the dewar, there is a copper crimped pipe with some epoxy gl oop - though I am *guessing* this is just to pull a vacuum on the dewar and has nothing to do with the helium. There is also some sort of ouput (two p ins) which seem to read a dead short.

If you see this and can reply, I would be most grateful.

Kind Regards

Mark

Reply to
exmark

Zombie thread ^2:

Did you ever figure out how to deal with the dewar?

Reply to
rcanis

On a sunny day (Sat, 20 May 2017 06:40:33 -0700 (PDT)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

Not sure who you are replying to, but there are not so many people with that stuff, could have been me.. The dewar sits in the attic (it has some thermocouple attached to it)., The superconducting filter in it is for a frequency I do not use ATM (cellphones). For the rest it should be working. I had it working before I removed it from the cryocooler to be able to do other experiments. Like making cold coffee:

Jan Panteltje

lphones).

other experiments.

Hi Jan,

I am a university researcher who just acquired one of these units secondhan d (Hybrid 98 Cryogenic cooler, same as yours I believe). I have been search ing all over the internet trying to locate the software to control the unit through the RS232 port and I have been unable to find it anywhere. Do you have this software or know where I might be able to find it online? Superco nductor Technologies is unwilling to provide it since I did not buy the uni t from them. Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-C

Reply to
cdnedlik

RS-232 control software is easy to write. Do you have any sort of spec on the interface?

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

On a sunny day (Fri, 22 Sep 2017 09:55:13 -0700 (PDT)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

Hi, there seems to be a usenet propagation problem, maybe these days the posting was too long for the network... So in case it did not reach you, the reply is now also here:

Jan Panteltje