Water pressure pump pressure switch doesn't turn on automatically

I need to know better how the booster water pump pressure switch is tested & adjusted I think, where I ask your advice to help me figure it out.

Is there a way to better test or adjust that booster pump switch?

All I know, so far, is that when I manually press down on the complicated intermeshed switch levers with a stick, the switch sparks green and instantly activates the booster pump which stays running for about 4 minutes which gives the house water pressure for about three or four showers worth of water.

But the switch no longer turns on by itself anymore.

What else can I test or adjust?

Reply to
Prouvost

We used to test and set such with a variable air supply (Like the control valve on a spray booth paint gun setup) in your case it would be a good idea to remove the switch and check the usually small orifice that is in the water inlet of the switch, it is a common fault for those to become blocked. While you are on the job it looks like the system could use a coat of paint !!

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

If reliability is critical, replace it immediately. Then, if you must, troubleshoot the old one and then put it on the shelf as a *temporary* spare.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

Thank you for showing how to test the switch instead of just blindly replacing it, where I try to never replace a part that I can't prove is broken.

I only blindly replace things when I don't understand how the system works, which means I can't test it properly due to my ignorance of the system.

I researched how the system works overnight where I wrote up this troubleshooting flow chart that I'd like to ask for review.

I'll likely do the work today but this is what I figured out overnight.

Non-inventory parts & tools needed: (1) Water pressure tester GHT fitting (at least 0 psi to about 75 psi) (2) Pressure gauge (NPT fitting) (at least 0 psi to about 75 psi) (3) Pressure switch (Double-D brand, preset to the correct range)

Normal inventory parts & tools needed: (1) Air compressor & hand-held Shrader gauge (2) 220VAC voltmeter or DMM (3) Wrenches, flat file, pipe dope, screwdrivers, Sharpie, and so forth

Basics of normal operation: (30-50 psi for homes with 20 pound differential) (1) The bladder is pressurized to about 28 psi in most homes (or 38) (2) The pressure switch is set to close 4 pump contacts at 30 psi (or 40) (3) The pressure switch is set to open 4 pump contacts at 50 psi (or 60)

Basics if the pump isn't turning on: (1) The pressure to the pressure switch may be faulty (2) The pressure switch contacts can be pitted or corroded or sticking (3) The water line or the screen on the pressure switch may be clogged

Determine the design cut-in & cut-out pressure range (1) Read pressure written on the tank & on the cap of the pressure switch (2) Measure pressure in the tank at the cut-in & cut-off points (3) Read the pressure gauge at the cut-in & cut-off points

Check bladder pressure (1) Shut off the input/output to/from the pressure tank & drain (2) Read pressure on tank when empty & full (3) Bladder should be 2-4 psi below cut-in pressure (30-2 = 28 psi)

Clean debris clogging the pressure to the pressure switch: (1) Clean the four contact switch points with a flat file. (2) Clean debris from the screen on the bottom of the pressure switch (3) Clean out the water tube connected to the pressure switch

What do the four contacts do (1) Usually the inside two contacts generally obtain input line power (2) Usually the outside two contacts generally output to the pump (3) There are generally two ground screws, one each for the input & output

Safety concerns before removing components (1) Turn off the power (2) Shut off the nearest water valves to and from the pressure tank (3) Drain the pressure tank of water until the pump gauge reads 0 psi

Adjust the pressure in the bladder & pressure switch if necessary (1) Pressurize bladder to 28 psi (2) Center large nut (3/8") adjusts the cut-in/cut-out 20-degree range 1 clockwise rotation tightening the large spring adds 2-3 psi Example values are 35-55 psi, 40-60 psi, 45-65 psi, and so on (3) Side small nut adults the cut-out pressure only (widens the range) 1 clockwise rotation = 2-3 psi Example values are 35-55+2 psi, 40-60+2 psi, 45-65+2 psi, and so on

System overview videos (1)

(2)
(3)
(4)
(5)

Pressure tank videos (1)

(2)
(3)
(4)
(5)

Pressure switch videos (1)

(2)
(3)
(4)
(5)

Prouvost

Does his style of posting look familiar ...

--
Adrian C
Reply to

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

Style is familiar, yes. And the essential idiocy has not gotten any better with time.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

Look at at this way: you made the $100 service call and replaced the $2 part. (Just throwing out numbers here, so please don't hold me to them). Discard the bad part so nobody will try to resurrect it, ultimately resulting in another $100 service call.

If customer wants a spare, sell him a new one, $2 plus an (ahem) appropriate markup.

Or let him buy one on eBay.

Reply to
George Cornelius

You miss the point - I am beginning to think that is typical of you. Prouvost is the type who wants to set camber with a cell phone, and patch bald tires for its BMW.

Practicality and common sense are not under discussion.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

I got ripped off big time on the heat pump.

Service call was $ 100 just to come out. Fair enough. Replaced a capacitor that shoud have been a fair pricce of $ 50 due to markup. However their standard rate ws about $ 300.

I later bought a capacitor and relay just to have off ebay for less than $ 20 each including shipping.

Two years later the capacitor went out again, so put in my $ 20 capacitor and ordered another off ebay.

If it is a part that may be ok, I may save it for an emergency,but usually just chunk the old part if it is not very expensive.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Once upon a time, a gentleman from New York was driving across the Vermont countryside in his brand new Cadillac - whereupon it broke down, stopped de ad, in the middle of nowhere - and no cell coverage (common in VT). The Gen tleman walked to the nearest house, inhabited by an elderly farmer, and ask ed to borrow a phone.

Gentleman: My car broke down, I have no cell coverage. May I borrow your ph one?

Farmer: Got no phone. Mind if I take a look?

Gentleman: This is a 2019 Cadillac - I am sure you have no idea.

Farmer: Mind if I take a look?

Gentleman: I guess that would be OK.

The farmer walked to the car, popped the hood, and looked for about 30 seco nds. Ayuh! And walked to his barn, returning with a small brass hammer. Three taps later, he asked the gentleman to "Try it now".

Ran perfectly!

The gentleman, being a gentleman, asked: What do I owe you?

Farmer, after looking him up and down: $300.

Gentleman: For $300, I want an itemized bill!

Farmer: Sure. Walked to his house, and came back with the bill as follows:

Three taps with small brass hammer @ $1 each. $3. Know where: $297.

Being ripped off is in the eye of the beholder.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33