2 pin unpolarised connector

does there exist a small two-pin unpolarised connector? by small I mean less than 10 mm wide, ~ 5 mm high, and not much longer than 20 mm. All i have seen so far are polarised.

Reply to
jethro tull

Why goes an ancient rock band need an unpolarized connector?

lunatic fringe electronics

Maybe he's adding connectivity to his horse-drawn seed drill?

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

What's a polarized connector? Is a BNC polarized? How about some little molex thing... there are thousands of connectors.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I'd guess something like a diode in a connector which you can plug in two different ways (or not at all) to select some parameter.

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

Pseudorandom number generator for the seed drill lock. Let people that know nothing about polarity use it & you get your RNs.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

There are thousands of connectors that fit your needs. What other requirements? Voltage, current, speed, cost? I think there are even Berg strips that are less than 5m high, though they may be taller with a connector on them.

Reply to
krw

One that can't be plugged backwards.

Yes. The contacts can't be reversed.

Reply to
krw

Well, yeah, there's the 0.1" spacing header connectors. More to the point, you can buy pin and socket elements, and (with a small amount of tooling) make a connector housing for 'em.

Twinax used to come in a two-prong unpolarized version, and it was TERRIBLE for those of us who wanted a shielded pair and DID care about polarity.

What I'd like to see, is a two-pin reversible plug/socket where the plug and socket were identical (all plugs mate with all other plugs). That'd be the multimeter probe connector for me!

Instead, I end up with a drawer full of multimeter-compatible special purpose wired harnesses for various uses.

Reply to
whit3rd

Those 2 pin cable moulded connectors used to reverse the polarity of barrel connectors to wall-warts come to mind.

--
Regards,

Adrian Jansen
Reply to
Adrian Jansen

They make those. One pin is male and the other female, so any connector will mate with the other connectors. But it is not unpolarized. The plugs will only go together one way.

They use the connectors on multimeters that they do because of high voltages which may be present. The pin is recessed to prevent contact if it is not plugged in all the way or not at all.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

There are also hermaphrodite contacts, which have no male/female variants; GR used to make two coax versions, 50 ohm and (?)125 ohm. The key is, the connector takes a 90 degree rotation to mate with its other half. There's four-circle-quadrants and blade-with-X-slot geometries that work.

GR made 'em coaxial (so center/outer was polarized); I was thinking of two side-by-side contacts, where reversing the direction (180 degrees) to dock would allow both polarities of connection. The geometry is hard to explain, naturally...

Reply to
whit3rd

not too hard to do, but I can't see a market for them. There would need to be pins partially sticking out on all connector points, restricting its usefulness greatly.

How? You just need a socket either side of each pin, the pin can form the contact on one side of that socket.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Closest I can think of is a 'figure 8' connector, as used for mains inlet on smaller devices. IEC C7 and C8. you can buy re-wireable plugs on ebay, not sure if they're 'official'.

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

----------------------

** Yeah, but it's a little bigger than the OP's specs.

About 16 x 8 x 35mm.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I strongly believe that mains connectors should be reserved for that purpose.

I have used AMP 926575-1 for differential ECL on individual twisted pairs. Those fit in either polarity on standard 0.1" spacing pin headers.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

well... I don't know. But for sure I need.

Reply to
jethro tull

then give one example. I haven't given the electrical limits but the dimensions. It gives an idea.

Reply to
jethro tull

[ ... ] this is good in terms of size, but I don't think I can make easily a robust and handy housing.
Reply to
jethro tull

You seem to be adding requirements.