1965 Allied Catalog

Ungar soldering iron 98 cents

KG2000 oscilloscope kit $199.50

(all tubes, 5 MC, triggered sweep, DC coupled... I had one)

1% axial resistor 54 cents

10% carbon comp resistor 13 cents

1N914 diode $1.50

2N2222A $6.75

12AX7A $1.28

The dollar-value adjustment is about 8:1. So the cost of gumdrop parts is now hundreds of times less than it was then.

My allowance would buy a few diodes per month.

lunatic fringe electronics

You could build some of the circuits in my copy of "Industrial Transistor Circuits" published the same year, if there are any SCRs in there (lots of SCRs used)

If you hung on to a hundred of those 12AX7s you could be a 12AX7 millionaire nowadays.

What's an "allowance"?

Reply to
bitrex

My parents gave me $2 per week.

lunatic fringe electronics

"Stop fussing around with that pricey 'transistor' nonsense, those things are just a fad and will NEVER catch on."

Reply to
bitrex

2017 Soldering iron $0.99
2017 Oscilloscope $4.75
2017 10K 1% $0.10

I could go on...

2017 1N914 diode $0.10 (digikey)

I'll stop now...

OK, this would be hard to beat...

John :-#)#

                      John's Jukes Ltd.
          (604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ If you only wanted the case !!

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

1965 was a couple of years before I got seriously interested in electronics. Prices here in India then, converted to USD at the exchange rate of the period would be -

Ungar soldering iron. Don't know. A clunky 25W piece with a wooden handle was about $4

10% carbon comp resistor 5 cents

2N2222A $1.50

12AX7A (ECC83) $0.80
Reply to
Pimpom

--------------------

** Assuming that is a US made tube from RCA, GE, Sylvania and the like AND is still "new in box" it is now worth about 100 times the price.

The last Russian made one I bought (Electro-Harmonix brand) form a local component supplier cost A$29.15

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Interesting..... In the UK, I was a schoolboy and was building valve amplifiers that went into 'cheap' record players for a local company. That paid for all my hobby bits :)

TTman

My parents were pretty plain people who never expected that electronics would take over the world. They just figured that I was a very weird kid, and indulged me.

lunatic fringe electronics

Yeah well by the time I was four I owned an entire record player factory and I did it all myself and I only had an allowance of fifteen cents a month! And I walked to school uphill in the snow! _Both_ ways!

Reply to
bitrex

January 1965 RSI. (Not too many ads show prices, but) TEK sampling 'scopes;

561A $2,250 567 $5,050 661 $3,500

Keithly calibration sources

260 $425 261 $425

PAR two phase lockin JB-6 $1,750

There were a lot more ads in the older RSI's.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

$15 anyway

I guess the biggest change is with ICs. 74 series started out at something like $25 per chip, now you could get a cpu for that.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yeah, a dual opamp costs 10 cents now.

One irony is that now when parts and test equipment are so available, kids are all learning how to code.

I had some cool customers visit yesterday. They make DUV eximer lasers, and one of their advantages is their super-reliable saturating-magnetics power drivers. The lament is that an old guy designed that stuff and then moved on, and there are few youngsters around who could do anything like that.

Real electronics rocks, and is increasingly rare and valuable.

lunatic fringe electronics

ng like $25 per chip, now you could get a cpu for that.

I find it a weird experience seeing all the arduino projects where for a se nsor they pay several $ for the sensor plus some assorted junk. I guess it' s sort of the modern equivalent of electronics kits that were around decade s ago, put a bunch of bloated assemblies on a baseboard to make a circuit.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Is there an online copy someplace? In 1965 I was at Harvard, purchasing parts like that, and I don't remember them being so expensive.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

So, tools have gone UP by a factor of about 100, while components have gone DOWN by a factor of 100 (plain $, not corrected for inflation.) Very interesting!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Not exactly 100 fold, more like 10x. Tools haven't gone up that much for similar types of tools. I expect the Ungar soldering iron mentioned above was your basic 25 or 40W model commonly called a soldering pencil. Not temp controlled, etc. as the soldering stations are these days. You can get cheap soldering pencils easily under $10 and some around $5. Not sure if they are very safe when that cheap - probably not UL or CSA approved and would be a fire or shock hazard potentially.

John :-#)#

                      John's Jukes Ltd.
          (604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

potentially or really?

Reply to
tabbypurr

(pun was intended)

I try to avoid buying anything that isn't approved by at least UL. I've seen enough junk stuff without adding the danger to my life and family.