170VDC to 12V isolated supply

Hi,

I would like to make a 170VDC to 12V isolated supply with 12watts output (12V 1Amp), with 100kHz PWM.

Would a forward converter or a flyback converter (or another) be best to use for this type of supply?

Also for a 20VDC to 60VDC input to 12V 1Amp isolated output with 100kHz PWM what would be the best circuit topology to use?

cheers, Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Morken

Those are typically done in flyback. One reason is that the transistor costs a couple pennies more and you get away with only one.

If the 100kHz are not a must you could also take a look at 115VAC to 12V switcher wall warts.

I'd probably use forward for that since transistors are cheap and you don't need a specialty gapped core.

But at the end of the day it all depends on quantity.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Hi, usually forward converter is used in situations with low voltage and higher current.

probably forward converter is better in your circuit.

Reply to
nyboard

An ordinary 12 VDC switching supply (for 120 VAC) will work fine on 170 VDC. The mains voltage is rectified as a first step anyway. So unless you have some need to build it yourself, an off-the-shelf unit can be purchased for about $10 or less.

Paul

Reply to
Paul E. Schoen