150W Stirling Engine?

I want to try this emergency battery charger:

150W output? Or do they mean 150W LED bulb? Perhaps 10W real output?

What's the benefit of twin cylinders vs. the single cylinder version?

Reply to
Ed Lee

Better balance = less vibration and noise. (In effect it is 2-stroke, so the two pistons can be 180-degrees out of phase and so can the displacers).

See "Philips Technical Review" for the full story of the development of their version of a Stirling engine that could power a lorry. They also ran them in reverse to make air-liquefying machines.

Reply to
Liz Tuddenham

Don't care about vibration and noise for emergency, or running it when i am not around.

Links? Actually, i am going to feed it with vaporizing liquid (70% sanitizer). I got a few gallons to burn/dispose, which were obtained when it was HOT item back in the Covid days.

Reply to
Ed Lee

Chris Jones

Thanks.

I ordered this

, which has integrated generator and look more solid in one piece. Just wondering how many Watts can i get out of a gallon of alcohol.

Officer: i am not drinking in the car, it's for the car.

Reply to
Ed Lee

milliwatts until it wears out and falls apart, it is a toy to show how a sterling engine works, not make any kind of usable power

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Yeah, most of them don't spec the output, except for my first link. If it's 150W LED, then it's probably 20W output. 5W to 10W for this would be fine. I just need a few seconds to jump start the 100W power relay, after charging for a few minutes.

Reply to
Ed Lee

buy a box of AA batteries

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I got boxes of 18650s, but sometimes nowhere to charge them. The sterling engine is probably lighter and take up less space.

Reply to
Ed Lee

the sterling engine is heavier takes up more space, needs fuel making it even more heavy take up even more space , and in the end it isn't going to make any usable power

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

If the concept work, i might 3D print disposable models. It might work with plastic vapor engine. I want to burn/rid of the fuel anyway, instead of dumping them in the drain.

Reply to
Ed Lee

I'm sure even Rube Goldberg would find it too silly

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Depending on the weight/energy ratio, which is the most important factor. I'll check when i get it in two weeks, but it doesn't look too heavy. The main frame could be plastic, instead of metal. There's not much high temp or pressure.

Reply to
Ed Lee

An AA battery is few Wh and 23gram

not much high temp or pressure, so very inefficient and very little power.

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Very wasteful in manufacturing and dispose.

Reply to
Ed Lee

150W input, perhaps 2 x 75W alcohol burners.
Reply to
Jasen Betts

They have a LED bulb in the picture (not sure if included). Typical LED bulb input is 20W.

I got 70% alcohol. Need to further distill to 90% or burn from heated vapor.

70% might be safer to store than 90%.
Reply to
Ed Lee

That's assuming you have stationary electricity source.

Reply to
Ed Lee

Those are chinese watts. If you get 10w out you'll have done remarkably well.

Reply to
Tabby

Yes, 10W or 150W are still meaningless. What i want to know is how many W per gallon of fuel? For instance, we can usually get 5kwhr to 10kwhr per gallon of gasoline in ICE.

Reply to
Ed Lee