1 msec resolution chronometer

A friend ,that has a passion for modelism asked me a kind of portable chronometer for competition cars with 3.5 cc engine.A sensor makes the chronometer freezing the lap time. The requested resolution is 1 ms,and is requested to store the time of every single lap .In a session some hundred of laps are performed(and i'm happy that it does not happens outside my window).He liked the look of some hd47780 based display,and this made the job easier than managing a generic char display. Well i built it with a 16f628 microcontroller interfaced with a I2C serial eeprom,and it works fine about what my friend need. But i guess that there are other smarter solutions if the budget was a limit.I did a little research starting from famous timekeeping brands as Dallas Semiconductor,but i just found some RTC's with resolution of second.

I would have some hints. Thank you by Diego,Italy.

Reply to
blisca

What is wrong ? Do you need an RTC with 1ms resolution ? It should be sufficient to count 1ms intervals from the time when the RTC switches the 1 second.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar