were can you get a bottom reader from

You read a question, each time you go to read the replys you have to scroll to the bottom all the time to read the next new reply,

It appears that most people have a reader that start at the bottom if the post, and they scroll up if it has gone down to far.

Reply to
Eric

Use Page Down key

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Boris Mohar

accepted standard for usenet has been, for a very long time, to put response under the quoted message. with courtesy, meaning trimming, bottom posting is eminently more readable than top, most especially with long bits of quoted text.

jim dorey

Acceptable standard for usenet is also when replying to the original poster is to reply to original poster and not someone else's reply to the original poster ;)

--
    Boris Mohar
Reply to

i suck at being standard, even my nuts are metric.

jim dorey

The Usenet archives are where it's at as far as I'm concerned. Top posted messages such as this are more than welcome when searching for information. To hell with out dated standards that put what you want to find at the end of the post. Ever searched for something using Google....

Boris Mohar wrote:

Reply to
oparr

Scrolling down with the mouse, using the page down key on keyboard, what's the difference when you click on to a "top poster" like I have done, you can start reading straight away, no pissing around.

Boris Mohar wrote:

Reply to
Eric

Most Newsgroup posts are short enough that there's not much scrolling necessary. I use, and recommend, Forte Agent. With Agent, most of the message will usually fall on the first page. If you learn the right keys to press, navigation becomes simple and almost automatic.

I agree that it's annoying when people quote back a lot of irrelevant text, because that just makes it hard to find the important stuff, and it wastes bandwidth.

-

Jim Adney

Well, I'm a top poster too and will always remain one. Bottom posting etiquette has it's roots in BBS setups back in the 80ties and early 90ties. Both Outlook's newsreader (which is what most people use for newsgroups these days) and Google (formerly Deja News, which most people use for searching Usenet archives) are top oriented.

Unfortunately, people are not always logical, ritual and etiquette dictate behavior patterns and mindsets as though these things are always conceived by wise men for the common good of mankind. Most newbies to forums and newsgroups end up conforming to established norms in order to meet what they consider to be acceptance criteria. Well, yours truly has been up and down, to and fro long enough to think for himself occasionally. And on occasions such as these I see no merit whatsoever in bottom posting.

Reply to
oparr