S-Video switching

Hey gang. My AV needs are fairly novice, standard def TV etc, but I am in need of an electronic means to switch between 5 S-Video devices. My receiver allows me to switch among 3, but I figured rather then buy a mechanical box and kludge the remaining 2 inputs in, I would just whip something out that I could attach to the parallel port of my PC that is already in the entertainment center and control all from one remote. My question is this, Since I'm switching a video signal, would anyone recommend a part to use? I have been told by some folks that Im best off using mechanical relays (?!?) but that's almost 30 relays and seems really insane. Thoughts?

--
Jason
The place where you made your stand never mattered,

It's 5 relays - or 4 even - for 5 inputs. Use multipole relays.

The S-Video needs you to switch 2 poles, the audio another 2, so 4 poles.

Four of these will do you at $1.00 each.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Maxim makes some nice video crosspoint ICs. , part number MAX4355 is a 16 *

16 video crosspoint switch with buffered inputs and outputs. You need two channels to handle S-video, so you would have an 8 * * S-video router on one 100 pin IC.
prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida