Questions about Differential Line Receivers

I have a detector with pairs of output lines: Q and Q NOT. I am told that I need to look for a 5V difference between Q and Q NOT in order to record an event; just watching for Q going high is not good enough, Q NOT has to go low at the same time. This is in order to separate signal from noise. These pulses should last for 2us give or take a us.

I am told that a Differential Line Receiver should be able to do this; however, the data sheet for one such:

...leads me to believe that the output goes high whenever A goes higher than B, not when A is some threshold higher than B. Can one of these be jiggered to use a fixed voltage threshold, i.e., the output goes high only when A is 4 volts higher than B?

The other approach would involve op-amps used as a differential amplifier and a schmidt trigger. Can anyone recommend an op amp that would respond quickly enough? Single supply would be nice, though not absolutely necessary.

--
Please reply to:                |  "Mundus Vult Decipi"
pciszek at panix dot com        |  ("The world wants to be deceived")

The line receivers used in the boxes we used long ago at work were LM710 and Signetics NE529. They may be hard to come by today, so a more recent substitute is probably better.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th