Older German dual banana plug connector?

Hello all!

I am looking for a dual banana plug connector to match the socket on a Leitz microscope from the late 1960s. The individual plugs are somewhere around 2.5 mm to 3 mm diameter and about 12 mm long. The spacing between the plugs is about 13 mm. All I need is the plug, not the socket. If a dual plug is unavailable, I can use two single plugs that fit.

These are used to connect illuminating lamps to a two-output variable supply (up to 8 V 0.6 A each) in the base of the microscope. Currently, one output is used for the main illumination, and the other output is unused. The second output was designed for an optional illuminator for a scale in the eyepiece, which is probably unobtainium now. Currently the user is simply shining a flashlight into the window where the optional illuminator would have gone, but I'd like to create an "integrated" solution with a small lamp or LED for the scale illumination.

This connector is exactly the same idea as the 0.75"-spacing dual banana plug found on much US test equipment, but smaller. Digging around on conrad.de , I find 2.6 mm diameter single banana plugs. The diameter is probably right, but the plug seems a little short at maybe 8 mm.

Digi-Key carries an EF Johnson part (J457-ND) that is also probably close, at 2.64 mm diameter, but this one is only 7.4 mm long. Pomona part number 2244 is almost exactly what I want, but again, the plugs on this one are only about 7.6 mm long.

Any tips or leads will be appreciated. Thanks!

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

In the past, if I'm remembering right, the big problem was not length, thats unimportant, but diameter. If your plug is to short, no problem, there's a lot of contact area and distance. Radio Shack used to have a push plug that had a huge amount expansion-contaction. It was dirt cheap and easy to get then expand it and in it would go.

Kevin Cunningham SMS

Reply to
Kevin Cunningham