Does USB "connector" = socket or plug or both?

Can you explain the what the term "connector" refers to?

I would have *guessed* that "connector" refers to bothe the socket and the plug.

But when I look at a chart of USB plug and socket dimensions then I see "connector" being used to describe only the socket.

See

What is the correct usage of the term "connector" with respect to computers?

Reply to
Jon D

There is no rule. The term can be applied freely to plugs and sockets depending on the preference of the writer or speaker. Why do you think that there has to be an officially correct usage? English dictionaries have been descriptivist for about 150 years. Digital computers are a comparatively recent development.

Reply to
contrex

The connector refers to the physical connection. In the case of USB connectors, it refers to both the plug and the socket that the plug goes into. If it's being used to refer to the socket only, it might be *assumed* that the device you are going to use with it has the plug on it lready. -Dave

Reply to
Mike T.

connector identifies the type of interface being attached. firewire - USB (mini ,A ,B) -serial- parallel -IDE -SATA -Molex

Reply to
JAD

Like others have said, the nomenclature depends on the application. Your question is therefore unclear--what do you mean by "socket" and "plug"?

For this application, find the answer to your question in chapter 6 of

Connector is the generic term; it covers sockets, plugs, receptacles, etc...

I've used "plug" to mean "the thing that is at the end of a cord", and "receptacle" to mean "the thing that is mounted in the cabinet", and "socket" to mean "something at your house, but we don't have any in the plant".

Of course, when your electrician calls the thing in the cabinet a "socket" you don't argue with him unless you never want to get any work done again. Especially since he's probably been doing this for forty years and will teach you many valuable things if you listen...;)

Reply to
thrugoodmarshall

On 13 Feb 2007 08:43:36 -0800, " snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com" Gave us:

In THAT particular case, there IS a standard definition.

The socket is fixed, or attached, and the plug is the moving part, or part at the end of a cable that gets plugged into the fixed location socket.

A connector refers to any electrical device or system that allows two separate segments of a circuit to interconnect with each other.

GODDAMNED OVERTLY STUPID CROSS POSTING FUCKTARDS!

Reply to
MassiveProng