jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Thats called a 'loop strap'

You can try Keystone, RAF too.

Martin Riddle

Probably ok as long as nobody saws or scrapes. But then one fine day somebody does ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I'm imagining the copper tube goes through bulkhead fittings, into tanks, bolted into pumps, held with hangers mounted to metal etc. that could significantly change the temperature of the tubing relative to the liquid flowing inside.

If your model is an effectively infinite length of thermally isolated copper tube with liquid of the same temperature throughout then there is no need of the insulation I suggested.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

What you need then, is to use those circuit board fuse holders..

you get the size for the 1/4" fuses and you can snap the sensor in the holder. You can solder this to a copper piece of course.

The URL links are far to long but go to mouser and look for "Fuse clips" you put two of these on your pipe so that the wires will hang out on one end and the tip of your sensor will sit in the other end.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

You forgot the beryllia insulating (electrical) wafer that's ground into a special shape.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

is

Exactly our plan. We will not create leak opportunities, there are enough already. If we wrap the tube+sensor with insulation, it will be fast enough for our needs.

David Lesher

The fuse clips idea is a good one; we'll look at that.

The sensor will be on a 1-2" long segment of tubing solely for temperature sensing. The plastic tubing isolates it. It will be wrapped with insulation against wind.

Yes, it won't be the fastest response, but in this application, BFD; it will be fine.

We are NOT going to play with thermistors, thermocouples and other instruments of aggravation and annoyance; I'm in recovery from same. The Device Gods let us buy I2C and 1-Wire sensors, and the output is bits.... nice friendly bits.

The 1-Wire vs. I2C decison is more nuanced; I2C has a TO-220 package but the tab is not electrically isolated. 1-Wire has TO-92's that we can bury in a hole on the busbars. The CPU has I2C support directly; but there's a I2C to 1-Wire chip that sounds interesting, the DS2483. Maxim wants $85 for their simple eval kit - DS2483K# so we'd make our own from a 2483.

Reply to
David Lesher

Looked but don't find a hit on such in their catalog. `

David Lesher