ICL5610, what is that?

Hello

I am repairing some old stuff, and on one of 11 boards there are some ICL5610, some replaced by 82S123 (with a 5610 label on*) - lookslike a PROM :)

  • all 5 one one spare board are labeled 5610 - so the software is the same for all of them? I could not find any datasheet? Could anyone help me?

And, they are ~30 years old. Are the still "alive"? Can they survive for that long?

I still dont know what they are doing, it is a Pfauter 320 machine - for making gears. They are in the electronic gear box. BTW: I want to but used boards if tehy exists

Any help apriciated.

WBR Sonnich

Reply to
jodleren

Bipolar PROM's are very stable. Not infinite-lived but better than say UV EPROM's or today's flash memory.

30 years ago they were often used mixed in with random logic for simple decoders etc. sorta like PAL's were used in the 80's and early 90's.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

The good news is that you can read them out, they are not old PLDs. But they may be hard to replace. Old PROMs ( hopefully unused ) do show up at ebay from time to time. But the manufacturers rarely published the specs how to program them.

MfG JRD

Reply to
Rafael Deliano

Thanks, I will look at it. Basically I should replace that old part, but e.g. those 5 chips make it a bit harder :)

WBR Sonnich

Reply to
jodleren

"jodleren" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@p8g2000yqb.googlegroups.com...

FAIK the 82S123 and is predecessor the 82S23 are 32 bytes Schottky TTL PROMs first introduced by Signetics. At the time they were fast, reliable and power hungry. Don't know whether modern programmers can read/write them but as they are very small PROMs, you can easily read them "by hand" on a simple breadboard.

Compatible chips were produced by Texas and AMD amongst others. That compatibilty did *not* cover the programming specifications. So if you want to program that chips yourself you'll have to make absolutely sure your programmer can handle the type at hand.

Though the 82S123 may not be available anymore, I saw some compatibles offered lately. Priced $5.-

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

Getting new compatible PROMs for the old boards is not very viable.

If there is space it may be easier to plug a small board in the socket that contains another IC. Perhaps a GAL 16V8 will be sufficient. Timing, insufficient drivelevel of outputs may cause subtle problems.

A cleaner approach is often analyzing the function of the old board and replacing it with a new board and modern parts ( CPLDs ).

MfG JRD

Reply to
Rafael Deliano

"Rafael Deliano" schreef in bericht news:hd1kdr$9q0$03$ snipped-for-privacy@news.t-online.com...

Well, I've analysed that type of old circuits several times. Sometimes it's easy most times it's not. Can't say much more without knowing the actual board.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

A simple circuit can be built to read the data by setting the address lines and reading the outputs to create a chart by hand. Start at 00000 and record the data, then increment the address by 1 & repeat until all the data is recovered.

Some of the very early Signetics data books had a sample programmer circuit, but recommended buying a commercial programmer. BTW, some old burglar alarm systems used these chips to store phone numbers, and had external programmers.

--
The movie \'Deliverance\' isn\'t a documentary!
Reply to

Signetics did have the specification published:

Harris too:
The Harris 32x8:
The MMI 32x8 would be the 63S081 but they didn´t publish the specs for programming. According to their 1985 crossreference: AMD 27S19 Harris 7603 National 74S287 Signetics 82S123 TI 18S030

MfG JRD

Reply to
Rafael Deliano