how do pins on ICs typically die ?

hello, i have a 40 pin VFD driver chip SN755518N that three of the pins Q20 Q21 appeared to have gone quiet/died . Q24 seems to have its expected output mangled.

I am trying to figure out wether i need to check out those lines (how and what to look for) before i put a new chip in so that i do not fry the new chip .

Could a faulty connection or other component connected to those lines fry those pins ? or is it possible for the chip to just suddenly go bad ? is there a typical reason for IC pins to go bad ?

what kind of test can i perform on the board to be certain that it is the chip and not something connected to the chip ?

i put an ohm meter from grd pin to the dead lines and i get 25 MOhm reading where other lines get 0 reading but that was not with chip disconnected ffrom the board so i dont know if there might be a 25 MOhm short somewhere ?

thansk for any Ideas and help, rob

Reply to
robb

Maybe it was killed by a fault in the VFD ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

INside each chip there is "black magic smoke". Each chip smoke enable the function of the chip. If you mis handle the chip, in any way, the smoke is release from the chip's body. After that the chip never works the same again.

IN a perfectly, good and functioning unit, should it suddenly stops working or perhaps stop over night (when you would not be present to see the smoke!) :

here are some reasons:

over voltage in transient state(s) over current during transient states ESD electrostatic discharge from handling and creating a "spark" over voltage results. over heating, over time

some times, power does not come up sequentially, and timing of power transients must be considered.

Power supply reversal, not tolerate well !

Mechanical degradation of chip lead to substrate connection.

Marc

Reply to
LVMarc

and

new

the

thanks for smoke joke :} and especially thanks for reasons

so, what sorts of tests can / should i be doing to find out if there is a problem in circuit board that may have led to IC pin/line failures ?

chip was in circuit and presumably not handled prior to failure. the only event that **may** have preceeded failure was is either spilled liquid on circuit board (cofee or coke) or an alkaline battery leak on main board (after sitting for a long period) and then it was powered on .

did i mention this is a hobby and so i do not have experience to know all the sundry conditions that may lead to such failures, and how to look for the hose conditions.... which is why i am asking ?

thanks again for any useful help youi can offer. rob

Reply to
robb

Probably none. How expensive is the replacement part?

25 MOhm (presuming M = Meg) is not usually considered a short. IIRC, VF display voltages aren't high enough to care about that high a resistance.

The other thing you might check for is a short _between_ the non- functioning outputs. Compare those readings to measurements between functioning outputs, and between non-functioning and functioning. If you observe any anomalies, remove the IC from the board and repeat. Or follow the PCB traces from the questionable pins and look for a short. If you don't find any apparent external cause for blowing up those outputs (and you've cleaned up the battery contamination from the PCB), try the new part.

TM

Reply to
tonym924

Not so expensive (

Reply to
robb

I've tested and serviced several thousand of these, and never have I seen a VFD kill a driver. A short on the other hand...

Reply to
JW

Hi!

Sometimes. It depends upon the value and rarity of said chip! Expensive ones tend to go "bang" very quickly, let lots of smoke out and don't work at all afterwards.

More common and less expensive chips can usually take a lot of attempted smoke releases before giving up. I had a 387 math-co and motherboard with the pin one portion of the socket installed improperly. I couldn't see the correct silk-screened orientation under the socket. The co-processor took three incorrect insertions and power-ons before it "died". :-(

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

My favorite datasheet of all, the Signetics WOM, has a graph showing "number of pins remaining" vs "number of socket insertions".

It's not directly applicable here, of course, but I'd extrapolate:

If your VFD display is a module in a larger system, I would look at power sequencing for the logic vs the drivers and display voltage. If there's anything pluggable/unpluggable that's an obvious way to sequence things wrong (for example, having ground become floating before the signal lines is a bad thing!).

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

thanks for help Tim, its possible a previous epairer unpugged something as you state. The circuit board had obvious solder work done, it wasn't pretty and that is coming from a mere occasional amateur solderer.

thanks again , robb

Reply to
robb