Connector pins on schematics

I've noticed that many newer schematics just show a labeled "box" such as "J1-2" to designate a connector pin (John's "load cell input circuit" on ABSE is a good example). Historically it seemed as though -- while it was common to have "off page" connectors with, e.g., a net name such as "MClk", eventually you made it to a drawing of, say, a DB-9 connector as one single entity.

I can see the utility of these "broken apart" connectors -- it's certainly faster for the guy entering the schematic -- although I've liked being able to see from the schematic what sort of *physical* connector I should be looking for on a PCB (e.g., DB-9, double-row header, etc.) as well.

Anyone have their own opinions on this? I think I'm trying to convince myself that the "broken" connectors are the way to go and that I really won't miss having a physical connector shown. :-)

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

I normally show the physical connector as one piece - but the schematic symbol may just be a box with numbered pins - no attempt to draw a picture of the real thing.

However, particularly on larger connectors, I'll just draw short wire stubs and put net names on them, with other short wires with corresponding net names elsewhere on the drawing, rather than actually wiring the connector into the circuit.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca