How do I use SOIC-ICs ?

Hi. I have some SOIC-chips, but I don't know how to use them.

How can I solder those small ICs onto a board? Is there any good techniques I should know of? Thanks is advance.

- Jan Rune -

Reply to
Metalicat

There are rework stations for surface mount technology. Something like this:

I have used these in the lab myself when testing boards and having the 'lovely time' removing surface mount IC's, 0402 resistors etc. There may be courses available as well.

Reply to
Kingcosmos

SOICs are easy to solder by hand using an ordinary soldering iron, with a fine point. (For instance, I use a Weller WES-51 soldering station, with an "ETU" tip.) It helps to use a magnifying headset, such as an OptiVisor. And it helps a LOT to use fine-gauge solder, such as .020".

There are also prototyping boards intended for SOIC; for instance,

And you can buy little adapters that you solder your SOICs to, that turn them into good old-fashioned DIPs so that they work with your existing prototyping system.

Reply to
Walter Harley