FLASH question...

Do a web search on NAND flash. It's denser, slower, and harder to use than "ordinary" (NOR) flash.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

As far as I can see FLASH-memory chips are usually not available in any larger sizes than 64mBits. However, devices like "IDE FLASH-disks" or "CompactFLASH cards" are available with gigabytes of storage. How is this done? For example, if you should make a 2Gigabyte-device from 64Mbits FLASH ICs you would need 250 of theses chips. This can't be the way they do it?

When the largest chips available seems to be 64MBits, it seems "impossible" to get 2GBytes of FLASH without making a HUGE PCB. Not to mention the cost of 250 FLASH-chips... And if I needed some megabytes of storage on a circuit-board, how would I do this in the best way? If it is possible to get 2GB into a small compactFLASH it should be no problem to get 100MBytes of FLASH soldered onto a PCB.

Hope my "question" is clear and that somebody can give me an explanation...

Thanks in advance, Dala.

Reply to
Dala Dahlgren

CF socket. Use it as an IDE drive. Electronics to drive it isn't challenging if you've got a micro.

Reply to
Ian Stirling