Boxes are overpriced

Just finishing up a medium-snazzy gizmo, and the BOM comes out at $14 excluding box and board. The board is probably $6 in smallish quantities (25 pieces, say).

The box (a Hammond 1455 type) is $16 @ 50 pcs.

Squeezed, Louise.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

You could dip it in epoxy for less than that. Just gather the controls & co nnectors together, dip the whole thing in upto those, and voila! Call it a new organic fashion :) Stick a few bits of dried grass in before dipping an d you can claim it to be organic too.

NT :)

Reply to
tabbypurr

Den tirsdag den 10. maj 2016 kl. 20.45.41 UTC+2 skrev Phil Hobbs:

what size is the box?

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

You think $16 is too much for a case??? That is at the low end I think.

If you want cheaper, why not cruise eBay and Alibaba?

--

Rick C
Reply to

100 x 120 x 25 mm.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

But that would infringe your copyrighted trade dress. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I'm looking at Alibaba, but it's a gigantic time sink.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

and they wonder why everyone buys chinese.

Reply to
M Philbrook

If the look can be, ahem, utilitarian consider NEMA boxes. That's where some electric stuff lives in on my mountain bike:

IIRC it was $6 full retail, plus tax, at Lowe's.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

What is the deal with the stupid pricing on enclosures?

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

What do you think it should sell for? High volume guys are always going to make their own, and for something that sells for hundreds of $ (else you can't afford the case) you want it to look pretty nice, so I'm not sure the cheap Chinese stuff will cut it.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

On Tue, 10 May 2016 14:45:36 -0400, Phil Hobbs Gave us:

Might as well model one and have it hobbed out of Delrin or Aluminum custom. That is, if it is going to be a product. Custom enclosures always have an appeal. They can be cheaper these days too, if you have a machinist friend. Otherwise there are tooling fees, etc.

Give me the PCB area and profile and I can easily model one up. Unless it generates heat, then other considerations must be made. Not just a simple box.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Tue, 10 May 2016 15:36:43 -0400, Phil Hobbs Gave us:

Connectors? Sealed at IP67 level?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Tue, 10 May 2016 20:52:29 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader Gave us:

Hammond has high price points. They are likely not doing very well either. Lots of competition out there now.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Tue, 10 May 2016 15:36:43 -0400, Phil Hobbs Gave us:

Is that what you need inside?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Misspoke. $27.

The board is probably $6 in smallish

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Nowhere near $16.

Isn't hammond a high volume manufacturer of boxes and things like that? Have they not been churning out/extruding those boxes for decades, or did they just tool up for the first time, plan a limited edidition of 500 boxes and then smash the molds?

I was recently looking for enclosures and was floored by the pricing as well.

For $16 you can buy chinese electronics in the case from ebay, and throw away whatever was stuffed inside and still have a few dollars left over.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Welcome to the club... most I/C packages are much more expensive than the chip they contain. ...Jim Thompson

           The touchstone of liberalism is intolerance

Well, my prejudice is that it shouldn't dominate the BOM. The same price as the board, OK. Or even board plus connectors.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Well, maybe they'll jack up the prices some more to make up for the loss in sales.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader