Help ID-ing a Zener

I have a nice Radio Shack 2 Line cordless phone that went poof on me, and let out the magic smoke. I opened it up and found some damage around the battery and power area. One of the damaged components is a zener marked D503 on the board. It has a number 6 and the next line is either A3 or a triangle and number 3. The closest thing I have found on the web is a RS faxback at

but the part numbers don't come close to what I see on the board. My phone is an older model, and I suspect the design has changed a lot. The RS part number on mine is 43-696, and the one on the faxback doc is 43-

696a.

I believe this zener is the regulator in the circuit to charge the 3.6V battery.

Anyone got some insight into this one?

Useful comments are always appreciated.

Thanks,

- Tim -

Reply to
Tim

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 17:43:03 -0300, Tim put finger to keyboard and composed:

Could it be a HZ6A3? That's a 5.6V, 500mW zener.

See

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Well now that looks like the puppie.

It may be a moot point tho as I put a 5.1v in the handset, and the phone still will not charge or power up. I suspect when the zener opened up, it let a surge through that took out more than the diodes and traces around the battery connector. The wall wart on this phone is 9v, so the zener failing let the full voltage hit the rest of the handset. I believe the whole thing started with bad solder connections on the battery connector. The pin connector practically fell out when I opened the phone.

Your info was very helpful.

Thank you.

- Tim -

Reply to