Agilent E4411B flash upgrade

I would like to upgrade the size of the flash memory in an Agilent E4411B spectrum analyzer because the upgrade (from 8MB to 16MB) is required for the current firmware.

The upgrade involves replacing the 4MB flash SIMM with a 12MB SIMM. It's option B72, Agilent part number E4401-60081. It is available from Agilent for $300, but that's a lot to pay for 12MB of flash memory!

It looks like it would be simple enough to expand the existing 4MB SIMM if I could find two more Sharp LH28F320SKTD-L70 4MB flash chips. Does anyone have any ideas on where I could buy two LH28F320SKTD, or equivalent 4MB flash chips?

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

Good luck. According to Agilent, this part is in protected status which means it is no longer made and they bought all that they needed based upon projected demand. That might explain the high cost.....Agilent's factory cost is about $70 and a 3-4 times mark-up is typical in this industry. The Mfg part number I found was LH28F320SKTD-ZR...not sure what the suffix difference indicates.

CV

Andy Cuffe wrote:

Reply to
Caesar Valenti

Wow, I had no idea it was such a rare part. I guess I'll have to decide if the upgrade is worth the cost.

Thanks,

Andy Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

I don't suppose anyone has a one or two old 4MB flash SIMMs sitting around after doing an upgrade? Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

Hi Andy, there are a couple of hits for LH28F320SKTD-L70 on findchips.com

Allegedly 1200+ pcs. at

I don't know whether they have a minimum order, though.

Reply to
JW

Thanks for the tip. This site looks like promising:

Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

Well, the chips arrived, but so far I haven't been able to get it to use the added flash memory. There are 4 jumper resistors on the SIMM, which I assume identify the type of SIMM. I've tried every combination, and the best I can get it to do is boot, but not see the extra 8 MB. The firmware upgrade boot floppy either reports an error accessing drive C: (the flash memory), or it reports that it's not big enough (the upgrade requires the additional flash memory).

My guess is that it needs be partitioned, or formatted, and that the real 12MB SIMM comes pre-formatted. Is there a way to partition the flash memory (like in a service menu)? Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

Well, I have confirmed that the problem is due to formatting, or partitioning of the blank flash chips. I swapped the original chip with one of the new ones so that the first chip on the SIMM was blank. After that, it reported that it couldn't install the firmware because there wasn't enough space available on drive C:.

It's not going to work unless I can find a way to format the flash memory. I've been playing with the key combination that does a secure erase of the flash memory, including the firmware, but so far no luck. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

I'm happy to report success.

I restored the flash chips to their original locations, and confirmed that everything was working as before. Then I ran the flash erase with several of the other jumper configurations. After finding the correct jumper configuration, it allowed me to install the latest firmware, and everything appears to me working well.

If anyone else wants to try this, you need to have both the jumpers closest to the SIMM's edge connector open, and the other two shorted. You will have to run the secure flash erase to reformat the SIMM (hold "view/trace", "ESC", and "return" while turning on the analyzer. The screen will be blank, but you can tell it's working by checking for the Vpp voltage of one of the chips. Give it about 10 minutes, and then pull the plug to turn it off. After erasing the flash, it won't work until you install the firmware. Andy Cuffe