Datasheet for Signetic NE553?

Anyone have anything on this old IC - from 1976? I can't find it in my regular Data books, IC Masters (oldest one I have is 1978), etc.

It appears to be an up/down counter of some sort, splitting the input clock generated by a 555 into two pulses - one slightly delayed relative to the other - used on a programming card for a test fixture (Kursh-Kasch video test fixture) for an early video game - Demolition Derby by Chicago Coin.

It is most definite that the part number is NE553 BA, I am not missing a digit. It is a 16pin DIP device. Power/gnd pins are 5 & 12...

Markings are:

S7604 NE553 BA

Thanks!

John :-#)#

  John\'s Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
                     www.flippers.com
John Robertson

There's no NE553 in the 1974 Signetics databook. I don't have a later one.

I almost want to say it has something to do with servo motor control, but I don't know why that comes to mind, and certainly don't know that it applies to the 553.

Signetics did come out with the NE558, which was a quad timer, sort of like 4 555's in a package (but since there weren't enough pins, it couldn't do all that the 555 did). Make sure you aren't reading the "8" for a "3". You should be able to find the pinouts for the 558, and comparing it to the circuit might show a match.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Just a thought but one of the things you can precisely do with the NE558 is generate delayed pulses relative to a trigger input, like a clock.

- James

--
 JrokLand http://www.jrok.com

I think you are correct - the NE558 does sound (and based on the PDF, looks) like the same item as what I have. Must be a bad imprint on the IC.

Thanks, it makes a lot more sense now!