A microcontroller with a chip programmer ?

Hello,

I'm searching a "powerful" microcontroller (my goal is to decode Ogg Vorbis in real Time so, I think, at least a µcontroller with ~100 MIPS,

32 bit) with a chip programmer (< $150). All the microcontroller that i have already found have very expansive "Starter Kit" (or stuff like this), any have ONLY a programmer, except one:
(99?, ~$115) for the STR9 & 7 from ST microelectronics (respectively issued from ARM9 & 7).

So I would know if some people know others programmer board for any microcontroller (able to decode Ogg Vorbis in real time) (I'm open to the DSP too, but I think that it will be easier to use a microcontroller :D ) ?

Thanks.

Reply to
Nanar Duff

You need a DSP chip.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Hello,

I'm searching a "powerful" microcontroller (my goal is to decode Ogg Vorbis in real Time so, I think, at least a µcontroller with ~100 MIPS,

32 bit) with a low cost programmer (< $150). All the microcontroller that i have already found have very expansive "Starter Kit" (or stuff like this), any have ONLY a programmer, except one:
(99?, ~$115) for the STR9 & 7 from ST microelectronics (respectively issued from ARM9 & 7).

So I would know if some people know others low cost programmer board for any microcontroller (able to decode Ogg Vorbis in real time) (I'm open to the DSP too, but I think that it will be easier to use a microcontroller :D ) ?

Thanks.

Reply to
Nanar Duff

Well its seems no:

.

Right, a DSP should be better, but i think that i will have to use a microcontroller: i can't spend $300 for a dsp "starter kit" for a hobbyist project.

Reply to
Nanar Duff

Oh. A RISC device. Not what I had in mind when you said microcontroller. How big are the registers btw ? Check out the $6 DSP chips anyway for good measure ! e.g. DSP56362 and family.

Maybe this too.... but it's only ~ 50MIPS

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

big

The register can be 16 bit size, but 32 bit size would be preferable.

Ok, but the problem is not the price of the chip, its the price of the programmer of the chip ! If i good understand in the link given, i cant program the DSP with the wiggler, i must buy the "DSPAUDIOEVM" who cost $250 !

Its the same problem thats the past DSP ...

Reply to
Nanar Duff

big

16 bit registers are no good at all for decent quality audio.

family.

Why ? I don't understand.

I don't understand that comment. I had another of Wavefront's DSP chips and I used an 89S53 microcontroller to control it and download the DSP code into it.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

There are several companies making system-on-a-chips with ARM cores. I like the ones from Atmel.

Some of them, come with a small ROM that can download code over the RS-232 port. You get to that ROM code by resetting while holding a pin high/low. In the other state it starts running your code out of the on-chip Flash.

The GNU tool chain works well with ARM. If you are willing to debug with printf and/or a scope, you don't need any fancy JTAG gear.

Digikey has an Atmel board for $149 with a SAM7256 on it. It may not be fast enough.

Places you might check out:

Hal Murray

Argh. SAM7256 will probably confuse people.

I was trying to say it's got the 256K flash version of the SAM7.

Here is the URL for that board:

Hal Murray

[snip]

You don't understand what? That someone might not know what you know? Wow.

Instead of getting confused because the OP is not another of your personalities and therefore doesn't have direct access to your memories, how about telling them about some handy resources for inexpensive programming of DSPs?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Auton

Sorry Tim, I managed successfully to decrypt Boki's intruiging comminications but " Its the same problem thats the past DSP ... " is incomprehensible to me !

We all have our flaws FFS ! I'm only humannn despite appearances..... I'm not a damn Borg you know !

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Eeyore a écrit :

big

Ok. So I'll take only µc with 32 bit registers.

family.

Well: after compiling and linking the program, how i can download (execute) the program in the dsp ? (Thats what I call a "programmer"). I don't find schematics or low cost boards that can do that.

Sorry for my bad English. I should say: "It is the same problem as the precedent dsp." (well, i don't know if this sentence is correct english too..)

used an 89S53

Yoohoo, I'm searching some stuff like that. Well could you give the schematic please ?

Reply to
Nanar Duff

Well, it seems that the SAM7 will be really not fast enough:

. And another problem: it seems that in order to program those µcontroller, i need a board (see the end of the message) or a "Sam-ICE/JLink Jtag interface" (who cost 250?...). I'm not sure of that, so could you confirm me this please ?

If i good understand, the Balloon Project its an "open source" board based on a StrongARM processor. I REALLY would prefer to have a µcontroller than a µprocessor: i don't think that i have a sufficient level in electronics to understand the schematic, and then remove the stuff that i don't need... I tried to find some "easy" tutorial (explicit comment or stuff like this) for the balloon project without success... Maybe do you have some link please ?

And for the gumstix board, its like the balloon board, i don't need of all the extra stuff present on each board...

ERF, the programmers present on this website are perfect, the µcontroller are less: any are not enough powerful to decode Ogg Vorbis in real time...

Erf, the board cost $350:

!
Reply to
Nanar Duff

if you feel confident enough, it could be worth spending a bit of time looking for schematics for a device programmer specific to the chip you're going to be working on. If you can make it work it could cost you a few $ instead of >$100

Mark

Reply to
Mark Fortune

How big

Much more suitable !

family.

All DSP chips have an interface to load code from a host contoller. You use a microcontoller as the host and use that to download code into the DSP via serial or parallel interface.

This is exactly what I've done with the DSP code stored in onboard flash memory in the MCU along with the MCU code.

You write your own downloader in whatever language you're using to program the MCU.

I used an 89S53

That'll cost you ! However I do think their application notes give some good examples. Look for the schematic of the EV board.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

What about a Texas Instruments MSP430? They sell a Starter Kit for $20 ($15 if you sign in for a design contest) which includes a 430f2013 microcontroller and a universal programmer for the entire MSP430 line. Also included is a development bench which is limited to 4k C-code but unlimited for assembler code .

MSP430 are designed for low power but you may be fine with the speed.

Reply to
Wolfgang

100MIPS 32 bit ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Ugh! I was focusing on low cost than on the rest of the message, sorry.

But inexpensive it is!:-)

Reply to
Wolfgang

I do know of a 50 MIPS 32 bit DSP that only costs about $5 though.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I was talking about a full development kit. The MSP's are from less $1 to $3

Reply to
Wolfgang