#47 LED lamp?

Has anyone ever come out with an LED drop-in replacement for the #47 (and similar) lamp bulbs?

Reply to
Neil Preston

has a search capability which lists a total of 16 replacements for the #47 mini-bayonet bulb. 6.3 volts, 150 mA, lots of colors including IR, and one "super white incandescent 4500K".

The web-site prices seem to range anywhere fronm $8 to $30 per lamp.

Dave Platt

(and

Well, that depends. The #47 lamp was commonly used in All American 5 tube radios as a part of the filament string. If you use LEDs there, you must maintain the total current thru the lamp with an equivalent resistance in parallel, and also rectify the AC. If this is your intent, then you might consult the denizens on rec.antiques.radio+phono newsgroup. If not, then just put a diode and resistor in series with the LED(s) to limit current and rectify AC. I have been able to squeeze three LEDs in the base of a lamp with a little filing of the LED.

So it depsnds greatly on where you're going to use the substitute. If it's in certain locations, the LEDs may be put out light that's too directional. And of course, the color may be a problem. So you see, there are many factors, electrical *and* physical, to determine before you might come up with a suitable LED substitute.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th