Very Basic Question on Protel DXP 7.2

I have been using ORCAD, now forced to switch to an older version of Altium.

(Design Explorer 7.2.92) circa 2002.

With ORCAD a Netlist is generated in Schematic Capture which is then used by Layout to generate the PCB connections.

I have been unable to figure out how to do the equivalent in DXP. Several Netlist options are available in DXP schematic build, but I've been unable to see how the PCB layout portion loads these. (Or which Netlist option is the proper one to use for that matter.)

Using this older rev of DXP, how do I properly transfer a schematic into a PCB layout?

Thanks much in advance. Terry

Reply to
Mistaken4

On both Protel 99SE and the current Altium Designer, in the schematic editor, the "Design" menu contains an item called (something like) "Update PC board". This effectively creates a netlist and pushes it into the PC board. There is no need to explicitly create a netlist, nor to manually import anything into the PC design.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

I have written a pcbcad (pcbcad28) program so have done this.

There is quite a bit of manipulation of the netlist to get it down to its minimum for the ratsnest PCB. Duplicate points can be removed. Points not on a component pin can be removed too.

I do a bit of error checking first too. Things like single ended nets are thrown up as errors.

Reply to
Marra