PSPICE 10.5 Communications Problems from Capture 10.5

After running some simple circuits within Capture/PSPICE 10.5, I get the OrCad's Capture cannot create a PSPICE netlist for the PSPICE engine to simulate. If you go into the Session Log, it days "Unable to initialize pspice explorer while creating netlist file." If you try to view the netlist, you get "The PSPICE COM Wrapper error has occured" dialog.

I have to shutdown everything, manually remove the OrCAD modules from Windows 2K memory with the task manager and shutdown Capture. Restart and everything is fine for a while (about 5-10 minutes), then we start the process all over again. Every other aspect of the OrCAD 10.5 works great, even the PSPICE, but only until this anomoly gets into the picture.

Also, I have removed all antivirus, antispyware, etc. programs with a clean reboot. Still the problem returns. I even removed that pesky CTFMON.EXE TSR by Microsoft as some people indicated that can cause problems in and of itself.

Any ideas, anyone??

Reply to
cstocci

Yep. I think I covered this before...

Uninstall OrCAD/PSpice.

Manually scrub the registry of all references to previous versions.

Re-install.

If you really want a good install, choose "Custom", and choose PSpice Schematics.

DO NOT install Capture.

You'll thank me ;-)

Capture sucks the ultimate lemon.

...Jim Thompson

"Winners never quit, quitters never win", Jack Bradley Budnik ~1956

What he said... 8-)

Actually, the uninstall ALL versions, do a regclean, and then reinstall seems to fix it. Windows seems to be able to get itself confused as to which version it is supposed to be using...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Edmondson

Charlie,

Did this once already and aggressively cleaned the registry. Even cleared the Legacy Root structure. Still it comes to bother me. I sent the problem to Manny at EDA to see if they can do anything with the question. Also, I have noticed that this problem has existed since, at least version 10.3, and the solution they gave (in their Known Problems and Solutions PDF) doesn't work in this situation.

Jim is trying to get me to eliminate Capture altogether and work strictly within Pspice schematic. I think he hates Capture. I think it is a good package...far better than any other package I have seen to date. I just wish they would cleanup some of the rough edges on the Capture-to-Pspice conversion routine (pspiceexplorersvr.exe, pspiceexplorer.dll files in particular).

CT

Charlie Edm>

Reply to
cstocci

[snip]

The problem is that the Capture-to-PSpice-Simulator interface is a typical OrCAD hack, while the PSpice (Microsim) Schematics-to-PSpice-Simulator interface is the original ;-)