Pinging 74HC4046 Users

or wrong,

uation:

talk to

it and

but

think.

right

Perhaps. But I didn't get to chose which projects got funded - your criticism is of U.K. engineering management, which wasn't all that good, rather than of my competence as an engineer.

Sure. Whoever said it was? Apart from From LinkedIn, who want to make money out of it ...

I'm going to do stuff for you for free? I may be curious, but I'm not gullible.

"

as

That's the one that sticks in my mind - perhaps because Winfield Hill did find it funny. I'm not going to do a web search for additional examples - that would be taking you much too seriously.

I did pretty well from 1969 to 1991. After I'd turned 49 there were actual gaps between jobs - I'd become experienced and relatively expensive. People skills generally improve with age, so you've got to be hypothesising that I metamorphosed into a wolverine in my late forties, which is implausible, even for you. In fact at that point I'd become the social glue that held the Cambrdige Instruments electron beam tester project together, which was unexpected, and used up half a day a week that I'd have preferred to devote to circuit design and debugging.

But you do the selection and hiring, so you are the Highland Electronics personnel department, as well as filling a number of other functions. A jack of all trades, though you seem to have mastered electronics, if not perhaps to the level of becoming a living national treasure.

You left out the "take up references" and/or talk to previous employers part of the advertise-resume-inteview procedure. In the last decade of my time in the UK I used to get a few phone calls a year asking about people who had mentioned working with me to prospective employers.

Which is to say you really haven't mastered the advertise/read resume/ interview routine which allows you to access a rather bigger pool of candidates.

So your limited skills in personnel selection aren't actually lethal.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

don't

r know

locked

it

  1. >

The NXP 9046 uses a different solution again - current sources rather than logic levels

The VCO is still nasty, but PC2 is well-behaved.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Yup, it's better, but it just saves you a single resistor and costs at least a buck more. The 4046 PD2's flat spot is a minor wart if you know about it, but it can be a real puzzler otherwise--superficially the loop looks well-behaved, but it hunts back and forth by a few nanoseconds.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

wrong,

situation:

and

think.

right

  1. I didn't suggest that you do things that I need. I suggested that you do things that might help *you* find useful something to do, maybe even find work.
  2. If you want someone to hire you, as a consultant or as an employer, it's really good if you convince them that you are willing to work in their interest. Learning their application and science, or offering a freebie to start, is very good business. Sounding greedy and arrogant and bored isn't.

Hey, it's your life; live it your way.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

ed or wrong,

find

situation:

to talk to

now it and

too but

to think.

in

he right

ry

So you claim.

Very altruistic of you. Your grasp of the demands of the Dutch (and now the Australia) job market for engineers may be better than mine, since all I know about that subject is what I read in the local job ads, but none of your suggestions has looked all that useful to me.

For them. Less so for me. I might do it if I knew a fair bit about the people involved, and had good reason to think them honest, but I've got better things to do with my time than jumping through hoops in the vague hope of beong considered for a particular job. Not all that much better, perhaps, but still better than that.

Any more that sounding vain, petulant, and self-obsessed makes one look attractive as an employer.

Wanting to get paid for doing a specific task isn't exactly greedy - nobody values stuff they get for nothing, and people who don't have to pay for work tend to be frivolous about expanding the scope of the task. I'm certainly bored by a lot of the discussion that goes on here

- a lot of it is old errors being recycled by people who can't get their heads around the fact that they might be wrong - and pointing this out does make me sound arrogant. It's problem that all competent people have to live with. I'd have thought that you might have run into it from time to time, if you real-world competence came anywhere near your self-image.

Such a generous concession.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to