Old trackball won't work on modern laptops

What do you do about display drivers for DOS OrCAD ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I guess that could work but would an emulated DOS offer all the features that my equipment might require of the OS? I suppose I might just have to suck it and see.

Reply to
Tom Lucas

Yep ;-)

Our 47th Wedding Anniversary is March 31.

...Jim Thompson

[snip]

My thoughts also. Except the track-ball will need its 12V supply.

...Jim Thompson

I use the "traceback" 1024x768 VESA driver. It is available in the files section of the Yahoo Groups group "OldDosOrcad" Put TB1024.drv in the same directory as the other drivers. It will not show up in the list of available drivers (that list is hardwired in ERC), but if you enter it manually it will be used.

The only trick you need to know to run Orcad with dosemu is that you must run it in the "capture cursor" mode. That is done by pressing Ctrl-Alt-ScrollLock from the dosemu window. The same sequence releases the cursor.

-Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Harris

I cannot answer that. But what I can tell you is it works with a lot of the old DOS shoot-em-up games.

lpt gets redirected to the lp printer spool, the com ports can be accessed directly if you give dosemu permission. You set up your hard drive as a sub directory somewhere, and the a: drive maps to the floppy.

I wouldn't expect it to work with dongles, or other devices that require direct driving of the parallel port.

Try it, it might do what you need.

-Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Harris

My late father-in-law said on their 43rd: "How many more to go?"

He said that exactly once (didn't go over too well...).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

So, let's see. I could whip up a beefy 13.56MHz generator, put a loop under the table where the trackball usually is and then...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Some of my filter design software doesn't come any other way than DOS. Never had any problems running it all w/o a clean DOS boot. The only catches are the occasional "speed overruns", IOW the program relied on some DOS timers or whatever to flag a status but now it blazes by so fast that I can't see what the flags read. And the calc speed of those old programs on new PCs is phenomenal compared to the early 90's.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Possibly also a -12V supply as well. Most serial mice were before common usage of transceiver chips with their own power inverters.

Paul Carpenter

Where are those Turbo buttons when you need them?

Reply to
JeffM

actually, they have PCI card converters for old ISA cards.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

In comp.arch.embedded Tom Lucas wrote: ...

Wine is not for emulating hardware. If your Dos program uses Raw IO accesses and no interrupt, there are some chances. Run wine as root and allow wine to access the IO ports in question

Uwe Bonnes

no dead keyboards or mice lying around?

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

a couple of 9V batteries... may only need one.

What's the output impedance of an MC1488 anyway?

+5, 0V, 4 TTL inputs (with pull-up) 4 inputs for the R part of a one-shot R-C timers (think 556 or 558),

only two of each on the cheap ones

R is typicaly a 250K variable resistor (to +5V)

often TTL level MIDI in and out too.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

yeah, but what is it under load, and how does that compare withj what the trackball gets when it's connected to the reguular PC.

maybe 5V from the ps/2 socket would be enough for it.

--

Bye.
   Jasen

It doesn't do harware at all, all it does is convert (some) windows software into linux software.

linux is fairly good with legacy hardware.

Dosemu on the the other hand can be told to enable ranges of IO ports for real hardware access.

Configuring dosemu can be tricky.

A new PC with an ISA slot could be expensive.

--

Bye.
   Jasen

For similar reasons I'm using this one (USB):

Roberto Waltman

[ Please reply to the group, return address is invalid ]
Reply to
Roberto Waltman

Nice. But it seems to not allow the rolling of the ball with the thumb and if you do you'll have to bend the fingers. My old Trackman is laid out so the outer side of the stretched thumb rolls the ball and the stretched out middle or index finger can press buttons. There was never any fatigue, even after mammoth CAD sessions.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Hi Joerg, Drop your Guttenbergian deadnostuff, this is the future:

martin

Reply to
martin griffith