New wxWidgets application announcement: Liquid PCB

Hi all,

I've just released a wxWidgets and OpenGL application for designing Printed Circuit Boards. It's quite unusual in that it lets you create flexible tracks which can move and bend freely, while always maintaining your design rules.

Also, unlike most CAD packages, there are no banks of icons, and no File, Edit .. Help menu. All functions are accessed through the multi-directional expanding mouse menu.

I would be very grateful if this application can be featured in the wxWidgets showcase.

More info about the project can be seen here:

many thanks

Hugo Elias

Hugo Elias

snipped-for-privacy@virgin.net (Hugo Elias) wrote in news:47AF06F8.3090402 @virgin.net:

Sounds interesting from a UI perspective. What about the back-end? Is it compatible with other EDA tools? Can I load the files into gEDA?

Reply to
Kenneth Porter

Ales Hvezda, the author of gnetlist is kindly offering to write a gnetlist backend to export the .XML format netlist files which Liquid PCB uses. Meanwhile, another kind soul is trying to compile Liquid PCB for Linux. I'll make the Makefiles and instructions available as soon as this happens.

I hope to have Liquid PCB working with gEDA as soon as possible. Any contributions gratefully welcome.

Hugo Elias

Reply to
hugo.elias

This sounds like "Rubberbanding to the nth power" or "Rubberbanding on steroids" or "Mensa Rubberbanding". Any quibbles WRT my descriptions?

Reply to
JeffM

It certainly looks like an interesting experiment in both user interface and PCB style. Couldn't get it to do anything sadly, it just stuck in dragging a box and wouldn't respond to any icons. There doesn't seem to be anything in the libraries yet, and no example PCBs that I could find.

Reply to
Paul Burke