[LTspice] Why does NMOS netlist with 4 nodes?

Hi:

The symbol nmos.asy included with LTspice only has 3 pins, yet this symbol when included in a schematic netlists with 4 nodes.

Why is this?

Thanks.

-- _______________________________________________________________________ Christopher R. Carlen Principal Laser/Optical Technologist Sandia National Laboratories CA USA snipped-for-privacy@BOGUSsandia.gov NOTE, delete texts: "RemoveThis" and "BOGUS" from email address to reply.

Reply to
Chris Carlen

The M Spice primitive certainly has 4 terminals. But LTspice has both a

3-terminal and 4-terminal MOSFET symbol. The 3-terminal symbol netlists 4 nodes. I am simply curious as to how this occurs, since it is inconsistent with the symbol's 3 terminals.

Good day!

crcarleRemoveThis@BOGUSsandia.gov
NOTE, delete texts: "RemoveThis" and "BOGUS" from email address to reply.
Reply to
Chris Carlen

Netlists as

MN1 %d %g %s %s ModelName L=...

...Jim Thompson

I notice that it only does that when the symbol is netlisted with an `M' prefix; if I use an `X' prefix then it netlists with only three terminals, which is exactly what is required to run most subcircuit FET models.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Westhues

Hello Chris,

Substrate?

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

"Chris Carlen" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@news4.newsguy.com...

Hello Chris,

This fourth pin is normally connected to the substrate of a monolithic MOSFET.

LTspice automatically connects this 4th pin to the source in the netlist even when only a 3-pin symbol is used for a MOSFET. It's simply convenient to always have the same syntax in the netlist.

The 3-pin symbol is intended for VDMOS and other MOSFETs with 3 pins.

There is also a 4-pin MOSFET symbol in the components library especially for monolithic MOSFETs.

Best regards, Helmut

Reply to
Helmut Sennewald