Favorite Block Diagram software?

Hi:

Got any favorites? Capable of flowcharting too?

-- Good day!

________________________________________ Christopher R. Carlen Principal Laser&Electronics Technologist Sandia National Laboratories CA USA snipped-for-privacy@BOGUSsandia.gov NOTE, delete texts: "RemoveThis" and "BOGUS" from email address to reply.

Reply to
Chris Carlen

Xfig.

cbm5

Visio

-- Dan Hollands

1120 S Creek Dr Webster NY 14580
Reply to
Dan Hollands

NO.

*-totally-unsuitable-for-wiring-diagrams+connections+no-concept-of-wires+zzz+for-this-very-reason

Reply to
JeffM

*-totally-unsuitable-for-wiring-diagrams+connections+no-concept-of-wires+zzz+for-this-very-reason

What's your alternative, Jeff? I wrote the message you were responding to in the link you provide; my alternative for schematics is Mentor Graphics, which is far less useful than Visio for presentation schematics, despite the problems with Visio.

But the OP wasn't asking about schematics, he was asking about block diagrams. For those, I find that Visio is generally a fine tool.

-- Mike --

Reply to
Mike

I use the drawing tool that comes with OpenOffice.org

It took some getting used to, and it'll never be quite as good as Visio but it's fine for doing block diagrams and its free.

Nearly all the block diagrams in my various papers on my website used OOo tools -- including Draw to generate the block diagrams. Graphs were either done with MathCad or SciLab (another good free tool --

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

I made an EAGLE library called BLOCK.LBR. . .

My schematic capture app has done what little block diagram work I needed. . .

As you noted in the old post, perhaps if you get everything positioned right the first time. With Cisio having no real understanding of *connections* in the electrical sense (everything is just a *line* to Visio), there is a lot of rework to do every time you move something (no rubberbanding; it snaps where it wants--and it is clueless).

Reply to
JeffM

For a lot of stuff Open Office's Draw is the easiest way to go because it mixes with text in their Write program easily.

I sometimes also use the schematic program. The blocks in the block diagrams are sheets.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

A very old version of Protel for Windows used to be quite good, running on Win95 back then. If I needed to paste readable schematics into a word document and if I wanted it to be quicker than drawing it with a stencil and ink pen, then this is the only program I have found so far that I would recommend. It is also much better than any microsoft program for doing flowcharts, powerpoint diagrams or stuff like that.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

Edge Diagrammer from

Does lots of nice stuff - rubber banding of connected blocks, free mix of text and graphics, hyperlinks to other diagrams, etc.

--
Regards,

Adrian Jansen           adrianjansen at internode dot on dot net
Design Engineer         J & K Micro Systems
Microcomputer solutions for industrial control
Note reply address is invalid, convert address above to machine form.
Reply to
Adrian Jansen

Yes please,

I think visio suckis. I use Micrografx Designer for block diagrams and Micrografx Flowcharter 7, which have not been released in a while but are quite good. I evalutated the Corel tool that follows this (Corel bought Micrografx) but is not as good. I have to find new tool as well and am looking at Draw program in Open Office, I did some FSM diagrams in OO Draw and in my opinion it is worth checking out.

-SGS

Reply to
Kadir Solid Gold Suleyman

Also have a look at