KiCAD, setting board size

How does one specify "board size" in KiCad ..?

When I try to "Autoplace All Modules" all I get is: "No edge PCB, Unknown board size!"

I just tested with a simple design.

Reply to
sky465nm

Select "Edges PCB" as the active layer (the combo box up on top) and draw in your edges with the drawing tools.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

You need to buy some decent software !

I paid =A320 for mine and it doesnt spit the dummy if there is no PCB outline !

Reply to
Marra

Sure, but paying to have your files hostage is not sometime I want. I found the solution to the problem anyway.

Also the files used are text ones, so it's very easy to automate things with scripts. Or rescue broken files, should it ever be needed.

Product EOL will also not cause any development brickwall.

Reply to
sky465nm

th

What brickwall ? My software does everything I ask of it. My vendor says if I think of an idea for an improvement then he would add it and send me a new copy free !

What broken files ? My software has never had any broken files coz its not full of bugs !

Its all very commendable having open source but something done for nothing is rarely as good as something bought.

Reply to
Marra

You need to adjust your understanding of "open source". Neither open source nor free software preclude you from charging huge fees for the software you create (I work for Red Hat, a company that sells Free Software).

Plus, your estimate of open source's quality is very lacking - I hear lots of testimonials from people saying that their open source software is far more usable and reliable than the proprietary software they had been using. Sure, it depends on the user and the software, but you can't generalize.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Suppose your CAD company is bought by an invenstor that mismanage the company. Your access to your own designs will be at the mercy of that management.

Your software does whatever your vendor sees fit.

If they decide not to implement you'r stuck with that decision. Market research for free to the company.

Your discs, operating system, user handling, application bugs, any can trigger a trashed file. Infact in the rec.photo.digital I read a posting about a ms-xp user that downloaded photos from an usb memory that got his files trashed. All pointing to the driver. Despite being so standard these days. Most software contains bugs, most are not disclosed. Just google on 'full disclosure' to see the corporate management of bugs (deny deny).

There was a reason as to why free software was created in the first place. Many reasons boils down to how the economy is organised. People without proper technical knowhow takes decisions on technical details. Or are so inconsiderate to the whole picture that it's a cause for failure by itself.

Haveing a monetary drive behind a project is only as good as the structure organising it.

Reply to
sky465nm

Load a schematic from a pirated version, and have YOUR design files voided by the vendors will:

Seems the EDA business is plagued by the buy-and-terminate business tactics. Not a good playfield for stable worktool.

Reply to
sky465nm