ExpressPCB to Gerber file converter?

It doesn't have many features that a purpose-built "Gerber editor" does, although it certainly works in a pinch. (The biggest problem seems to be that Pulsonix tries to be smart and figure out what things "are," whereas sometimes you just want a "dumb" editor that thinks of everything as a drawn line or a flashed shape.)

Protel used to have very good Gerber import abilities... I wonder if it still does?

Reply to
Joel Koltner

That almost always implies at least four digits. :-)

You pretty much have to call up your local Pulsonix distributor to get pricing -- it tends to vary significantly worldwide. As of a little more than a year ago, any Pulsonix suite that included PCB layout was >$2k in the U.S. A full-featured suite with a handful of the "spendy" options (network licensing, database connectivity, chip packaging toolkit, etc.) would tend to top $10k in the U.S.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

I've used gerbv quite usefully ! It does take a little getting used to.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

Joel, I would counter your comment below. True that Protel can import Gerber but it is specifically a very limited Gerber import that works mainly only with it's own exported Gerbers. Try importing Gerbers created in another toool and you are fighting a difficult if not loosing battle. There are all sorts of legitimate Gerber expressions that it will just gag on.

--
Sincerely,
Brad Velander.

"Joel Koltner"  wrote in message
> "Leon"  wrote in message
>
> Protel used to have very good Gerber import abilities... I wonder if it
> still does?
Reply to
Brad Velander

dn't

About $3,000.

Leon

Reply to
Leon

Thanks for the information, Brad. When I was using Protel's Gerber import functionality, it was only with Gerber files Protel itself had generated, so I never saw the important limitations you're describing.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Joel, Glad I could enlighten or warn. Plenty of users only find it out after their expectations are raised. The first one that I stumbled across was that it wouldn't even import some Protel Generated files that had been re-exported from their own Camtastic

2000DE after a couple of very minor edits. Some externally generated Gerbers may be formatted much closer than others to the precise format required.for Protel import. I have heard of a couple people having success with only edits to the initial Gerber configuration statements (approx. the first dozen lines). That wasn't the case in a couple of my attempted imports, the required edits grew exponentially as I tried to progress.
--

> Thanks for the information, Brad.  When I was using Protel\'s Gerber import
> functionality, it was only with Gerber files Protel itself had generated,
> so I never saw the important limitations you\'re describing.
>
> ---Joel

Reply to
Brad Velander