Early CAD and 3D Modeling 1985 and before?

I have been reading papers lately on the early history of computer panning/zooming around the 3D models. I'm really interested in the period before 1985.

The papers I have been reading store the data in a matrix then use an algorithm to do the transform and produce a new set of 3D coordinates to render the image.

This type of thing is now routinely done in CAD programs and in computer/video games.

Could anyone here suggest the seminal papers or really complete reviews on the subject circa 1985 or before?

Thank you so much.

Reply to
Greg

The ESL "Kludge" display system on the 7094 at MIT's Project MAC/CTSS was a line drawing (vector) display system rather than a raster scan system. It had a matrix multiply between the line drawing hardware and the display hardware. You could rotate (and scale) the wire-stick models by just updating the matrix rather than the whole display list.

That was mid 1960s.

These are my opinions, not necessarily my employer\'s.  I hate spam.
Reply to
Hal Murray

That is great information. I found a wonderful site about that. Thank you.

I was really hoping for a paper that showed the state of the art around

80-83 if anyone has additional ideas.
Reply to
Greg