Eagle: diffrent track size and autocad ?

hello s.e.c :-)

Sorry if this has been up before, I have search webpages and usenet thing in search of answere to my problem:

I need diffrent track sizes, (for signal and power ect.) I can change it in the schmatic part, under change->width->size. When switching to board-mode, all tracks are of the same size.

What do I do??

Software: cadsoft's Eagle version 4.16r2, freeware.

Thanks in advance

Jan.

Reply to
Jan Rasmussen

Is that real or just a display issue.

Bob

Reply to
sycochkn

sycochkn skrev:

Hi bob.

From what I can tell, the change of track width is only for display, as it does not afect the track size in the board layout. I asume the board layout on screen should 100% reflect the end result/real.

/Jan

Reply to
Jan Rasmussen

Jan, I don't know Eagle at all, but track widths are normally be set in your PCB layout tool, not typically the schematic. (At least not unless it is set as a PCB Directive within the schematic of some more advanced tools.) If Eagle has PCB Directives (basically a rule item for specifying & defining PCB layout issues) in their schematic tool then you would use those. Where does Autocad come into the question?

--
Sincerely,
Brad Velander.

"Jan Rasmussen"  wrote in message
> Hi bob.
>
> From what I can tell, the change of track width is only for display, as it
> does not afect the track size in the board layout.
> I asume the board layout on screen should 100% reflect the end
> result/real.
>
> /Jan
Reply to
Brad Velander

The general way to handle this is to define various "classes" for your nets. You can establish different design rules for different classes (widths, clearances, etc.)

Then assign specific nets to specific classes. The autorouter will use the rules for the appropriate class when doing its thing with a particular net.

Use the menu item Edit --> Net classes ... to set up your classes, then the change --> class command to assign a net to a particular class.

If you are hand-routing, you can just set the width before you start routing a particular net, or do the route and then change --> width afterward. You'll need to be sure to select each element of the route.

-- Dave Tweed

Reply to
David Tweed

Where does AutoCAD fit into this equation? Do you have both the board and schematic windows open when you do this?

Bob

Reply to
sycochkn

Jan Rasmussen skrev:

Thank you all for the replies. The net classes trick works :-)

I asume it goes under the term "AutoCAD" when it is schmatic and pcb-layout tool in one software as eagle is?

/Jan - Eagle-N00b..

Reply to
Jan Rasmussen

No. AutoCAD is a specific product from a specific company.

AutoCad is *NOT* software for doing electronics

--though, if you want to force the issue, it can be *made* to do that.

The term you want is ECAD.

JeffM

I was thinking of using AutoCAD for fab and assy drawings.

Bob

Reply to
sycochkn

sycochkn wrote:

Check out the price, then (WRT the learning curve) talk to someone who has recently started using it.

I've actually done some simple dimensional prints using a PCB layout CAD.

Reply to
JeffM

I had 3d solid models in mind. and the 2D drawings the board ones made from the gerber file. The assys and 3d parts made from a parts library.

Bob

Reply to
sycochkn