anybody use PADS?

I'm trying to edit a schematic using PADS Logic. It won't let me edit a net name. If a name is something like $$$1234, and I click it and try to edit the net to anything else, the net name in the dialog box is grey and can't be changed. I can add an offpage connector, then a new name, but if I delete the offpage, the net reverts to a stupid $$$nnnn type name.

Anybody know why?

And in the older versions, I could double-click along a connection and pop up a new visible net name, and leave it there in plain sight. I can't seem to do that now.

John

The behaviour is somewhat bizarre. If you select a net segment that joins onto a component, PADS will let you assign a visible name to that net. If you select any other segment on the same net, or use 'select net', it won't. Logic it ain't.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Reply to
chenlei7500

I am using the PADS 2004. I couldn't edit the name of the net. It just allows me edit the net of POWER and GND in the Logic.

Why you have to edit the name??? In the PADS PowerPCB , you could edit the name of the net.

Reply to
chenlei7500

The net names text is associated with pins on components. You need to click on a connection segment that is closest to one of the components, and then you can edit the net name. You can also check "add net name". Then, you can move and rotate the net name to another location along the net. I am still using PowerLogic 5.0 here, and PADS Logic 2004SP2 (or maybe 2005SP1) at another location and this seems to work.

A better forum for questions like this is listserver.pads.com, where there is a lot of discussion about problems in newer releases.

Paul E. Schoen

Paul E. Schoen

Is that the one with Austen on it?

There's sure some pissed off people about the 30 year lease (for PADS) they bought and the 1.5 (IIRC) year they got.

Robert

Reply to
Robert

Wow, does PADS time out or something?

Oh, I found the problem. You have to first click the "query mode" icon at the top, the blue circle with the "i" inside, or else the change-netname dialog appears, but won't work.

I normally draw my schematics in pencil, on d-size vellum, and leave the cad stuff to my drafting guy, but we have a rush job so I'm working on this stuff on weekends.

John

Yes, apparently.

You only "rent" it. You don't buy it. It stops working after the time set in the License file.

It used to be (IIRC) that you could purchase a 30 year license period, essentially "buying" it. Then some people noticed that when their P.O. said the 30 year period and Mentor accepted it they were getting a License file with 1.5 years. Apparently Mentor bought PADS a while ago and changed how it is sold. I don't know how many, if any, new License files you get for the same Purchase. Near as I can tell no one else can figure that out as well.

Robert

Reply to
Robert

Yikes! Sounds like they GenericCad/Autocad thing all over; buy it, kill it, force the customers to go upscale.

John

I think I mentioned this before....

A number of years ago a client loaned me a copy of HSpice (in the days before PSpice could handle BSIM3v3).

Midway through the project the license timed out.

So the oldest son wrote a "wrapper" around HSpice.exe:

The wrapper, at opening, changed the system date to a date where the license was valid.

The cute part occurred on closing: System date was changed back to the current date and all files created during the session had their dates changed to current date as well.

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

These days such a simplisitic approach is pretty unlikely to work. Mst EDA companies these days go to using a commercial license manager such as FlexLM which -- although people can and do manage to crack it -- is sophisticated enough that the average Joe isn't going to be able to circumvent it. (In fact, much of what you see these days are people simply spoofing license files -- often far easier than changing, e.g., the license daemon. This has unfortunately created a return to the days of a dongled license server, although at least with USB dongles hardware compatibility problems are nowhere near as bad as they were with parallel port dongesl.)

Reply to
Joel Kolstad