Any field solvers that can import PCB design data?

Does anyone know of a (preferably) standalone 2.5D (or 3D) field solver that can read in a Gerber data file, be provided with stack-up data (dielectric constants, loss tangents, etc.), and then let you willy-nilly define ports to look at S parameters (or similar)? The primary idea is to obtain isolation data between one trace and another when your board size is prescribed (i.e., you can't just move all the signals an inch apart like the manufacturer demo PCBs do!).

I'm aware that Eagleware, I mean, Agilent's Genesys can do this, although I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. So perhaps all the Big Boys -- Agilent ADS, AWR's Microwave Office, and Ansoft's RF Designer -- can do this?

Thanks,

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Mentor HyperLynx can import various PCB formats. Don't know if it can import Gerber files. Big $$ for Mentor products.

--
Mark
Reply to

Ie3D (see

can import GDSII data. They call it "AGIF" (Automatic Geometry to IE3D Flow). You once put the stackup data in a so-called template file, and then you can import layouts, add the ports with few clicks and simulate.

Georg

Reply to
Georg Baum

that

isolation

(i.e.,

demo

this?

I evaluated something like that some time ago from a German company ,Simlab. Programs were Athos and Aramis It was compatible with our Mentor toolset and used Boardstation data directly It supplied Accusim extracted netlists for re-simulation with boar parasitics.

I couldn't justify the expense based on our PCB throughput.

They still seem to be in the business.

Brian

-- Brian Howie SELEX Sensors and Airborne Systems Ltd Sensor Systems Division Crewe Toll Phase II, 1st Floor, Edinburgh EH5 2XS Phone +44 (0)131 343 8769 FAX +44 (0)131 343 8941 Email snipped-for-privacy@selex-sas.com

Reply to
Brian Howie

One of the guys on the PADS list posted this one.

They do say, in their "CAD Links" section that they can read PADs files.

Robert

Reply to
Robert