4046 PLL model scarcity.

What is it you're trying to do? Sub-bass? Chasing lights? What? I did all that s!@# ~40 years ago ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Jim Thompson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Ok, I got some more on that from Art of Electronics just now, which I'd forgotten about. RM Marston shows that resistor too, though didn't explain it.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

Jim Thompson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Whistle to MIDI convertor. Seriously. :) I actually got fairly good at whistling. I can play a bass guitar fairly well now, and keyboard (with right hand only, poor co-ordination for both), but whistling will allow a very good solo line, and combining that with keyborad via MIDI might give a lead guitarist a hell of a run for their money! A prospect of an instrument that fine has to be worth some effort to acheive. Dieter Doupfer is planning somethign similar using all digital derivations, but his project is forver on the back burner. :) As I'll settle for something less than ideal for many input signals, and already have some good work done, I can hopefulyl get by. I still rely on one of his inventions, which allows a control voltage to fluently scale across several octaves of MIDI to make a monophonic synth play a clean sweep across the entire key range. I had to modify the gadget slightly to do this, but he solves the biggest problem for me, all I have to do is give it a voltage it can use.

No matter how many times people have tried to make this basic notion a reality, it still doesn't exist commercially. Since Bob Moog's log amp, not all that much has changed. At least in the LOG112 I can get that bit ready made with more accuracy and stability than I'll ever need. :) The weak link seems to be the VCO in the PLL, but maybe it's good enough if I can get

0.25%. A brain can usually make itself part of a live player's feedback loop somehow. Violinists have always seemed to manage. :)
Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

Lostgallifreyan wrote in news:Xns9F8C142AA81EEzoodlewurdle@216.196.109.145:

Doepfer.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

Try 10M from the PD2 output to ground.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

So? You're trying to convert your "whistling" to a tracking tone? Amplitude matching as well as frequency? ...Jim Thompson

Phil Hobbs wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@electrooptical.net:

Thanks. I got to stop now. Late, and my eyes actually hurt...

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

Try not worrying about it. ...Jim Thompson

Amusing problem. Can you record your whistling in some piece-wise-linear format? ...Jim Thompson

Jim Thompson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yes, but envelope followers are the least of the difficulty. Catching subtle nonlinear pitch bends and vibrato are far more important. Playing those by hand can take years of practise, but I can whistle them immediately and effectively, so I might as well try to catch that and use it.

The usual instrument people think of for the kind of expression I'm after is a Theremin, or an Ondes Martinot. I can't afford the first, never mind the second, and learning them wouldn't be easy either, and neither use MIDI. A Doepfer R2M ribbon controller is a cheaper way, but I can't be doing with the ribbon bit, it's the control box that does Great Things, so long as I can get it a voltage to use.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

Jim Thompson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I try not to. I hate the sound, and of my voice on any recording. It's the pitch control and dynamic control I like. Those work. But the sooner I convert them to sounds I actually LIKE, the better. :)

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

Jim Thompson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I think rest works better... Ò^O

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

An old man's (me) advice... you're making the problem too difficult... study my boom box posts. ...Jim Thompson

I make it a point to completely crash every night... shut down the mind and rest it... watch a movie... eat a steak... drink some wine... drink some more wine... ;-) ...Jim Thompson

. snipped-for-privacy@electrooptical.net:

Check out the NXP 74HCT9046 which incorporates a solution to the dead zone problem

which is discussed on page 8 of the data sheet.

-- Bill sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Jim Thompson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Trust me, there are well known names in the electronic music project field like RA Penfold and Craig Anderton who came up with designs that were far more complex than mine. As mine uses an op-amp as Schmitt trigger to allow PC1 instead of PC2 in the PLL I get a BIG leap in performance accuracy and sensitivity over the usual ways. So long as the PLL's VCO is linear enough I get a CV I can use free of charge, the only other thing I need is the log converter, which I also have now.

The only method I'm aware of that is simpler than mine, is the one in a Korg MS10 'modular' synthesizer, and that one's horrible. :)

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

Jim Thompson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I watched Bond earlier, but too much caffiene this morning took its toll...

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

The dead zone is only an issue with PD2. PD1 is nonlinear as well, but only at the very edges where you're about to lose lock anyway.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Who needs a PLL? I'll now go silent ;-) ...Jim Thompson

d4-

in

rial

log

hing

That's OK, I'll try different values and measure on my own. I was thinking I'd like to keep the capacitance as big as possible, since then stray stuff is less important.

Keeping the impedance low also helps keep electrostatic 'stuff' from leaking in. Which is worrisome at low frequencies.

But if the chip likes a high impedance.. then I'll have to deal with it.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold