Washing Machine, Voltage Spikes, Speakers Pop

i just did some googling (with much confusion) and i guess i might as well use a y rated? better safety? ok, btw the washing machine is a Hoover Gemini, like 8 years old.. so a 0.047uf y rated cap, across the 2 terminals of the motor should help?, ill see if i can get my electrician friend to do it.. you say play around with to find the best filtering, how would you play around with the resistance and capacitance?

Reply to
Archades

as you appear to have interference from multiple sources then, if you are sure the amp is a quality design, you may want to consider it being faulty.

also look at your visual interference detector - the tv - to determine the radiated interference of various items before and after any steps you take to reduce the problem.

: >

: >> 0.047 uf is just one typically number. Other values so : >>often used are 0.001 or 0.01 uf. Of course a larger : >>capacitance, means larger leakage current. We prefer to have : >>leakage well below a milliamp. So these are values typically : >>used. : >>

: >> Snubbers can be a capacitor across the switch or can be a : >>capacitor and resistor in parallel across the switch. These : >>values are often 'played' with to obtain best results - most : >>noise reduction. : >>

: >

: >

: > I think you mean the capand resistor are in series and then across the : > switch. the resistor's job is to absorb high frequency energy and convert : > it to heat. : >

: i just did some googling (with much confusion) and i guess i might as : well use a y rated? better safety? : ok, btw the washing machine is a Hoover Gemini, like 8 years old.. : so a 0.047uf y rated cap, across the 2 terminals of the motor should : help?, ill see if i can get my electrician friend to do it.. : you say play around with to find the best filtering, how would you play : around with the resistance and capacitance?

Reply to
Ed-

our tv doesnt seem to show any sign of it, but the other sound systems in teh house do, pops, clicks, its not high quality home theatre systems but just computer speakers, still quite pricey.

im thinking of another solution, get an electrician to run some new cables just for my room, and my brothers, to the switchboard on a new circuit?

Reply to
Archades

: > also look at your visual interference detector - the tv - to determine : > the radiated interference of various items before and after any steps : > you take to reduce the problem. : >

: > : >

[...]

ok, but confirm the method by which the interference is getting in to the amp first, or you could be spending cash for no positive outcome.

maybe run a long extension lead into the garden and try an amp plugged into different mains sockets. move the position of the amp and speakers as well.

Reply to
Ed-