Buliding a fingertip pulse device

Hi,
Im a trying to build a cheap and simple device, which will be connected
to a computer, to detect the heart rate.
To do this i am planning to use a pressure sensor which will be cliped
onto a finger to get the pulse rate and from there work out the heart
rate.
I was wondering if anyone can give me any to website or companys that
sell basic off the shelf pressure sensors that i am build my system
around
thanks Paul
Reply to
Pauly_G2002
See "Earpulse.pdf" on the S.E.D/Schematics page of my website. This uses light, but works on fingers just as well as it does on ear lobes.
...Jim Thompson
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jim Thompson
You've got it right, Jim. I recently had a work up (I have both AF and COPD). The tech had me walk briskly up and down the hall for a total of a few hundred meters while keeping an eye on a hand held pulse meter. The pickup was an IR (or red?) LED and photo pickup. I can't see a pressure transducer working reliably in that application.
Ted
Reply to
Ted Edwards
I read in sci.electronics.design that Pauly_G2002 wrote (in ) about 'Buliding a fingertip pulse device', on Fri, 11 Nov 2005:
Use a ceramic sounder disc. They make excellent low-frequency pressure transducers and are very low-cost.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Woodgate
Hey, John -
What is a sounder disc?
Thanks, John
Reply to
John - KD5YI
This has been done using a laser that can also read out blood pressure...
Reply to
Robert Baer
Thanks for all the help guy, massive help
Thank you all
Paul
Reply to
Pauly_G2002
Pressure sensing is going to be VERY sensitive to mechanical influences. Don't the commercial ones use optical techniques? mike
--
Wanted, Serial cable for Dell Axim X5 PDA.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
mike
Hi Robert,
Cool, do you have any sources?
Marte
Reply to
Marte Schwarz
Something else of interest: you can measure the oxygen level in the blood by using 2 leds instead of one: 1 red, one IR. The difference between the two (once calibrated) is related to how many red blood cells are carrying oxygen. The hospital ones do this.
-Daniel
Reply to
Daniel Watman
anyone have a basic shematic for this to use with an i/o device? im buying an ethernet 24port i/o device soon, and monitoring my pulse and blood oxygen levels would be very nice, also as i suffer sleep apnea i could see how often my oxygen levels drop
Reply to
Archades
ive come across this
looks like it's what i need, now i just need to know more on this oxygen sensor?
Reply to
Archades
You mean like this one?

You could also try

Good Luck! RIch
Reply to
Rich Grise
ahh yeah, thanks, i foudn on wiki the wavelengths needed,
should be interesting to build.. how would one calculate it though? it asks for 2 leds, and a photodiode, i thought it would need 2 photodiodes...
Reply to
Archades
Hi,
real things are more difficult than principle schemas looks like ;-) But it is true you need only one Photodiode. But for layman it would be easier to built the device from Circuit Cellular Dec 2004 Issue 173 Page 26 "TSL230R-Based Pulse Oximeter"
Marte
Reply to
Marte Schwarz
[someone wrote]