Tv reception - Page 3

Re: Tv reception

Someone on one of the electronics forums was into urinating on electric
fences.............

Re: Tv reception
Did not mythbusters do one on that?

Re: Tv reception

No, they did "third rail".  you can easily get a lot closer to the active part
of a fence, and the voltage is significantly higher.

Re: Tv reception

Most of the UK rail network has been electrified with overhead lines, we
used to get the occasional report of drunks getting seriously injured by
urinating off bridges.

The bridge near me has had sheet steel welded over the railings over the
power lines.

Re: Tv reception

Presumably your signal levels arent great and
the interference it produces swamps the TV signal.

Re: Tv reception
On Sun, 5 Feb 2017 06:11:20 +1100, "Rod Speed"

He won't pay the local Indian guy $100 to put in Digital Aerial and
did it himself!
mkumar65 [ at ] live [ dot ] com [ dot ] com
Just had my tile roof cleaned and he straightened all the ones knocked
out of place
--
Petzl
Arguing with a woman is like reading the Software License Agreement.
I am still using the professionally installed system The other was to
try and rectify what I erroneously thought was the problem.

Re: Tv reception

If it is a analogue TV aerial it's no good.

For years I also found turning devices on cost me reception?
Local paper gave me that guy and lucked he is good and cheap.
--
Petzl
Arguing with a woman is like reading the Software License Agreement.
Re: Tv reception

That will teach you to buy cheap shit from china!

PS. I bought a number of power supplies to convert fluro tube lights to
LED and they did exactly the same bloody thing.

At least they were only a couple of bucks each.

Re: Tv reception

A lot of the cheap Chinese stuff is like that.

The "Muller" brand that Aldi stocks twice a year seem to produce
good light (even spread and good colour) and very little interference.

Clifford Heath.

Re: Tv reception

I wish I could put down my TV reception's bad stints to something
like that. I ususally mumble something nasty about digital TV when
it happens because the "all or nothing" consequence of a weak
digital signal makes the whole experiance so much more annoying
than the bit of noise that might have appeared in analogue
reception.

It's funny how reception can be bad for a week or more then fine
for months afterwards, or only dodgy on a few nights. Probably
something to do with atmospheric conditions. Maybe I should
look at the atmosphere monitor webpages that the ham radio
people use next time there's a long stint of trouble.

The transmitter's around 70Km away.

--
__          __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: Tv reception

A lot of people were affected by the move to UHF (225 MHz up
to 570-ish). In some places where before you could survive
without direct line of sight (perhaps behind a hill) you now
can't, even with the digital system error correction.

Clifford Heath.

Re: Tv reception

It was UHF before the switch to digital as well, but the
error correction I was able to perform in my mind when
watching a slightly fuzzy analogue picture was far better
than the digital video processor in my set-top box is able
to manage.

--
__          __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: Tv reception

eeeeekkkkkk  a lot of those set top boxes are deaf junk, they are made
for city dwellers, try borrow a family members or friends digital TV and
see if that makes a difference

Re: Tv reception

I've got a few other set-top boxes around that I could swap
over. It would be a bugger of a thing to test though because
you never know when the signal's going to come good of its own
accord. I might get desperate enough to give it a try next
time I get a week of "comes good at the end credits" pain.

On a bad night it can be out for well over 15min with the "no
signal" window (or a scrambled resemblance of the last frame
to make it through), so that would be a good chance to test.

--
__          __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: Tv reception

might be stupid question, but was the OP's antennae upgraded with the
move to digital

We had that problem here with analogue, had new ant and amplifier
installed when we moved in, was still not the best, move to digital
required new ant, and the guys had to "substantially" wind back the
amplifiers gain due to too much signal.

Re: Tv reception

If I'm the OP you're talking about, my aerial is designed for
digital. The installation was a DIY affair though (one person
on the roof, another watching the set-top box's signal level
menu). That procedure has been repeated a few times after the
wind's blown the antenna in the wrong direction - the mounting
design really isn't suited to the "watch the world blow by
your window" winds out here.

Not optimal, but it shouldn't be any worse than the set-up on
analogue.

--
__          __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: Tv reception

I'm about 70kms from the transmitter also and the installer has my aerial
pointed upwards at about 30 degrees. I'd struggled going up and down a
ladder and turning the damn thing several times myself and not getting a
decent signal (but never thought to angle it upwards!) before discovering
that, being disabled I was entitled to a subsidised professional install.
Since it's been pointed up like that it's been great.

Best of luck.
--
Shaun.

Re: Tv reception

Thanks. Unfortunately I just checked, and the aerial's design only allows
horizontal adjustment. Something to keep in mind though.

--

Re: Tv reception

The angle's about right, but is there such a thing as stratosphere
bounce? or is the installer instead exploiting a side-lobe of the antenna?