Tv reception

For months I have been having problems with tv reception TV not working on most channels for hours, I have been blaming 4g towers, fixed wireless towers etc that have just been put up etc. I have just found the cause by accident, almost unbelievable. TV does not work if the kitchen light is on. The culprit is one of these, a 12" or so multiple led ceiling LED similar to this,

F Murtz

My electric fence was interfering with my TV reception.

--
President Trump will make America great again
Reply to

If I had an electric fence that would be one of the first suspects but who would think turning a light on would cause it, if I lived with anyone I may have figured it out earlier.

Reply to
F Murtz

F Murtz wrote

Presumably your signal levels arent great and the interference it produces swamps the TV signal.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Why would you have figured it out earlier if you lived with someone?

Reply to
Max

That will teach you to buy cheap shit from china!

PS. I bought a number of power supplies to convert fluro tube lights to LED and they did exactly the same bloody thing.

At least they were only a couple of bucks each.

Reply to
Blue Peeler

To clarify - was that the electronics in the fence generator, or the screams of the victims that was intruding on your viewing pleasure?

Reply to
Blue Peeler

A lot of the cheap Chinese stuff is like that.

The "Muller" brand that Aldi stocks twice a year seem to produce good light (even spread and good colour) and very little interference.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

My electric fence was affecting the signal quality to where the picture and sound dropped out completely but not in pulses like the electric fence.

--
President Trump will make America great again
Reply to
Lucifer Morningstar

I wish I could put down my TV reception's bad stints to something like that. I ususally mumble something nasty about digital TV when it happens because the "all or nothing" consequence of a weak digital signal makes the whole experiance so much more annoying than the bit of noise that might have appeared in analogue reception.

It's funny how reception can be bad for a week or more then fine for months afterwards, or only dodgy on a few nights. Probably something to do with atmospheric conditions. Maybe I should look at the atmosphere monitor webpages that the ham radio people use next time there's a long stint of trouble.

The transmitter's around 70Km away.

--
__          __
#_ < |\| |< _#

A lot of people were affected by the move to UHF (225 MHz up to 570-ish). In some places where before you could survive without direct line of sight (perhaps behind a hill) you now can't, even with the digital system error correction.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

It was UHF before the switch to digital as well, but the error correction I was able to perform in my mind when watching a slightly fuzzy analogue picture was far better than the digital video processor in my set-top box is able to manage.

--
__          __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Less time with pants around ankles?

--
Shaun.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
~misfit~

might be stupid question, but was the OP's antennae upgraded with the move to digital

We had that problem here with analogue, had new ant and amplifier installed when we moved in, was still not the best, move to digital required new ant, and the guys had to "substantially" wind back the amplifiers gain due to too much signal.

Reply to
noel

eeeeekkkkkk a lot of those set top boxes are deaf junk, they are made for city dwellers, try borrow a family members or friends digital TV and see if that makes a difference

Reply to
noel

He won't pay the local Indian guy $100 to put in Digital Aerial and did it himself! mkumar65 [ at ] live [ dot ] com [ dot ] com Just had my tile roof cleaned and he straightened all the ones knocked out of place

--
Petzl
Arguing with a woman is like reading the Software License Agreement.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Petzl

Because two are in more places than one. If one was watching the tele and the other turned on the light there would be more chance to work out a relation for instance.

Reply to
F Murtz

I am still using the professionally installed system The other was to try and rectify what I erroneously thought was the problem.

Reply to
F Murtz

I always have had minor glitches that I put down to the weather but this was almost all or nothing.

Reply to
F Murtz

If it is a analogue TV aerial it's no good.

For years I also found turning devices on cost me reception? Local paper gave me that guy and lucked he is good and cheap.