Serial to Parrael for 16x2 LCD

Does anyone know where i could get a serial to parallel convertor to
run 16x2 LCD from serial bit stream?
Thanks,
Kris
Reply to
Kris

Alternately, you could do it yourself. You could run the lcd in 4 bit mode and use a 74H595 serial to parallel converter, and just use the D4-D7, Enable and Register Select pins. You will then have two extra outputs on the '595 to use for turning the backlight on/off, a relay, or something else.
Or if you want to use I2C, use a PCF8574, I2C to parallel converter.
Regards David
Reply to
dmm
Have a look at
Reply to
Tom
Quite a few free designs on the net.
look for serial lcd backpack

Any preference for using a particular micro ?
Pretty easy with a pic , avr or any other micro with enough io.
jtag connections here

a cheap commerical one

Reply to
Alex Gibson