Schematics for HP/Compak NX9110 Notebook Main Board

I have a dead HP/Compak NX9110 laptop. Of course HP have quoted a new motherboard price that is higher than the value of the laptop.

After investigating a ~3 Hz ticking sound, I have narrowed the problem down to a MAX1902 multiple output switching regulator which regulates the 3V and

5V supplies. Nice looking device really. It looks like the device is being shut down via the Time/ON5 input. However, I can't see what is driving this input (naturally it's a multilayer board making further diagnosis difficult).

It doesn't seem to be going into current limit, or tripping either the overvoltage or undervoltage circuits.

What would really help is a mainboard schematic. Does anyone have one they can scan, or know where to find one?

Thanks, Alf

Reply to
Alf Katz

You'll never find one; these devices are not serviceable at the component level and all accessible documentation will, at best, give you only a subassembly-level guide.

In many cases, if you have standby voltage present on the board and it won't fully power up for some reason, the signals in question will trace back to a slave micro that manages power and other misc. functions. It's usually an 8-bit micro. In modern machines this is often an all-in-one chip containing the keyboard and pointing device interface also. Often the "no switch on" decision is being made internally to that slave micro based on other inputs, the state of which you have to infer.

I'd try hotwiring the regulator "on" and see what happens - given that the board is garbage already. However I've rarely been successful at fixing component-level problems on laptop mainboards; without design intent information, everything has to be analyzed from first principles.

Reply to
zwsdotcom

Schematics don't exist outside of the development engineering organization. Even the service manuals don't have them.

Alf Katz wrote:

Reply to
Barry Watzman

A company named SAMS used to reverse engineer electronic devices and then make a schematic for it as well. I recall they did this for many computers back in the 80's. I don't know if they are still around. As they went back for decades for TVs and radios. I should still have my SAMS schematics for my Commodore VIC-20. I have my Commodore SX-64 (first color luggable) schematics straight from Commodore themselves. Ah... things isn't like this anymore, eh?

--
Bill
Reply to

Technology to do this has become much easier. There's software now that will take as input standard X-rays of a PCB and create a netlist from that more or less automatically.

The reason it's not done commercially any more is because the information is useless. 99% of the time even if you can work out which part is actually faulty, this merely leads you to "Replace ASIC that isn't available off the shelf". And the debugging time, at $85 per hour or more, rapidly approaches the $500 cost of a new machine.

Reply to
zwsdotcom

Hello Bill Do you have by any chance a circuit diagram for the English made Commodore C64. I have 3 faulty C64 and one complete working and one without sound. Want to tackle them sometime in the future. Greetings Bert

Reply to
Bert

You are talking about "Sams Photofacts", and they were not reverse engineered, they were based on information voluntarily supplied by manufacturers. They were the source of information used by repair shops for TVs, radios, stereos and car radios. They did some computers and some monitors back in the 1980's.

They've been around since 1946 and are still in business:

But you won't find schematics of laptops, in fact I don't think you will generally find computers at all.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Barry Watzman

Reply to
Ben Myers

[snip]

Really? Sams Photofacts claims reversed engineering like I said.

*** PHOTOFACT® is recognized as the world's best and most accurate service documentation available today. For over 55 years, Sams has used, and continues to use, a process called "reverse engineering" to create Photofact. Reverse Engineering is a process in which the equipment is disassembled and each component and circuit is checked and documented. Each Sams schematic is drawn accurately in a consistent, standardized format which makes it easy to use and simple to understand. ***
--
Bill
Reply to

I have the service manual for a Commodore SX-64 in storage, which is electronically the same. But 8-bit computers like the Commodores are easy to repair even without a schematic. See:

No sound is usually the SID chip, 6581

--
Bill
Reply to

Yeah I know, isn't that something? I started having trouble when things came out with muli-layer boards. I guess it is called progress! :(

--
Bill
Reply to

Still being done ... see the experts...

APR

"APR" >

Hahahaha... I have some Roswell control panels I need to have reversed engineered. They sound perfect. Thanks again! :D

--
Bill
Reply to

Not quite. No sound is often the power supply. The only things on the C64 board that require the 9VAC are the audio and a passthrough to the user port. Not all flavors of the C64 PSU put out 9VAC, so mixing and matching the PSUs can lead to no sound.

Reply to
zwsdotcom

Oh okay, I stand corrected! Thanks zwsdotcom ;)

--
Bill
Reply to

notebooks,

Commodore released manuals with schematics for their 8088 and 80286 IBM clones. I had originals of each, about 10 years ago.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

notebooks,

Reply to
Ben Myers

I don't know why I didn't think of this before, as I have used the FCC website before. But supposedly anything with a FCC number, had to file a schematic with the registration. I never thought about computers, but I have gotten schematics for other devices before. Might be worth a shot.

The second one takes you to the search page, I hope.

--
Bill
Reply to

No longer true, one need only file a block diagram describing process flow and voltages. MB schematics for computers have been deemed proprietary.

--
James

Visit the Thinkpad Forums
http://forum.thinkpads.com
Reply to
JHEM

Not strictly true. The full information is still in the filing. Certain information can be kept off the public record as a trade secret (exactly what you can get classified this way depends on how well your lawyer can dance).

Reply to
zwsdotcom