Re: Australian/UK PAL compatibility - DVD player

First try a composite cable (Yellow one) or and "S" video cable (cable with 4 little pins)and see that it plays. : : I've seen plenty of information about how the Australian and UK : versions of PAL are different (i.e. PAL B/G vs PAL I). However, I've : also seen information that this only applies to TV signals through the : aerial.

Yes. : : I'm using a SCART to component cable to connect the DVD to the TV and : from what I've read, considering that both the TV and the DVD player : use PAL. there should be no incompatibility problems.

Are you *SURE* it is SACRT - Component and not SCART - RGB? Both RGB and Component have Red, Blue and Green leads BUT the systems are not interchangeable hence my earlier suggestion about leads. I bet you are trying to feed RGB into a component TV. try the other leads first and then

*IF* they work you will know that I guessed right. : : Can anyone confirm whether the PAL issue applies to DVD players too?

Yes but I do not believe this is the problem. : : Thanks very much!

Cheers TT

Reply to
TT

Hi Phil and TT

Thank you both for your responses.

You both suggest trying to get a picture on the TV using S-Video or composite cables. I'll give that a try and see where that goes. I'm pretty sure I have a spare composite cable lying around somehere.

Phil, in terms of "progressive scan", I've taken a look at the manual online and there's no reference to progressive scan anywhere. Also, one of the sites that I found for the DVD player specifically said that this DVD player does not have progressive scan.

What other mode issues should I look for?

I'm pretty sure: it says "SCART to component" on the box :-).

TT, can you explain a little more please? Why does the PAL format issue apply to DVD players too?

Thanks again!

Reply to
nolanwolff

I'm pretty sure: it says "SCART to component" on the box :-).

** Kindly go and look.

Also allow that the particular SCART may have been placed in the wrong box.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison
** Correction:

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Ok, I have the box in front of me. It says:"Scart to stereo audio and component video cable"; "Fully wired to Pb, Py and Pr Digital video signals".

Is does, however, also say "RGB video and audio interconnect".

The weird thing is is that I've used another of these cables (exactly the same) to connect my Foxtel to the TV without a problem.

So I guess I have a few questions:

  1. What is a "component" cable if it's not the one I already have?
  2. Why would the TV accept input from the Foxtel if it can only accept "component"?
  3. Why would my DVD player output "component" from the SCART output if most of the SCART connections are RGB?

Now I'm really confused! :-(

Any further insights Phil?

Thanks.

Reply to
nolanwolff

I have managed to get the DVD to display a picture using the composite video connection.

There are no references in the manual to using the DVD with an LCD TV.

The SCART connection at the back of the DVD player says "SCART/RGB", so I'm assuming that it requires a SCART/RGB cable (which it seems I have).

I have taken a look at the setup menu on the DVD player (when displayed on the TV) and there are no options about changing output or anything related to SCART or RGB.

I have tried substituting the SCART/component (RGB?) cable which is currently working for Foxtel into the DVD player with no luck. I still get the "mode not supported" error.

Any advice?

Thanks.

Reply to
nolanwolff

** From the published specs for the NAD T512 ( 240 volt version) - it simply does not have component video.

So you are out of luck there.

The Samsung R130 is a DVD RECORDER !!

BUT it does have component video - on 3 x RCA sockets.

Go for it - pal.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Does your LCD display accept RGB? I would think not as it is probably component therefore you have "mode not supported". So save the headaches and use an S video lead. BTW you can easily obtain SCART plugs with S video plugs if the machine does not already have one.

Cheers TT

Reply to
TT