Plasma TV & Cables

Hi I am getting a Plasma soon, and was told by the TV shop, that I should get these you beaut $150 leads, that give out a much better picture than the standard av leads. Is this true, or is it just to get more money out of me ?

Thanks again guys

Reply to
Tim

It is complete bullshit, and there are many manufacturers of "high performance" leads like this to cater for a fairly sizable gullible market. "Monster Cables" are the classic bullshit brand, I saw a HDMI "Monster Cable" in Hardly Normals the other day for $300.

Don't buy leads in the shop (esp HDMI), eBay have them at much more realistic prices.

You won't see (or hear) a lick of difference between different cable brands or prices, and anything they attempt to show you to the contrary is a trick. This topic has been done to death on here and other groups, and in the electronics magazines.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Its a load of crap.

If you really really must have quality OFC leads, gold plated connectors for your system, then consider the WES range

page 10.

Trade price for 3 rca to 3 rca about $10-24 depending on length (1.5m to 15m available)

I have used these in the past, more for quality and reliability reasons, and can recommend them.

Reply to
kreed

I agree with David. Most of the 'benefits" are purely hype. A typical ploy used by some retailers to "demonstrate" the difference is to hook up a STB or DVD player via a composite video lead (worst possible connection method) and also via the HDMI lead (best possible connection). They switch between the two claiming the bad picture is a standard HDMI lead and the better picture is via their "premium" HDMI lead (read overpriced lead). The average Joe doesn't realise he's been had but does notice the obvious difference in picture quality. When choosing any AV leads, check for obvious signs of reasonable quality assembly and apparent robustness. Flimsy plastic connectors and unusually thin cables are signs of cheap components which aren't like to perform well or last the distance.

Cheers, Alan

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge

I suggest you investigate some of the less expensive cables , I use good product obtained wholesale and see simialr quality being sold for considerably less than was offered to you , of the $150.00 1/3 goes to the sales person some to the store and maybe $30.00 on the cable though I would steer clear of $10.00 specials .

Reply to
atec77

Hi,

For the short distance it will not matter, however if you are planning to run a long distance (say 5+ meters), you are better off getting cables that have better shielding t minimise noise pickup.

Rudolf P.S. I have seen in one shop demo if cheap vs expensive cables and you could see some picture difference. Upon close examinations, I saw that cheap cable was connected to AV input, while expensive one used component...

Reply to
Rudolf

In fact if the $10 specials don't work adequately, you have only wasted $10! Like everything else there is some real crap at the bottom end of the price scale, and some quite adequate. The mechanical differences are quite obvious in most cases.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

could

cable

Exactly, and that is their point. 3 component cables do perform better and cost more than 1 composite cable, even for similar cable quality. They simply neglect to say how much or little improvement is to be had over using 3 cheap component cables Vs 3 expensive ones. Uninformed customers are a salesman's dream after all.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

Experience tells me if I cant buy the parts in china for the asking rice of the cable then the cable stands a good chance of being mechanically didgy , for av to rca for instance a pretty good cable can be had for under $20.00 retail .

Reply to
atec77

Maybe, but I've never seen any cables THAT cheap. I've bought $5 ones that are perfectly good though, and seen plenty of $2 ones that I wouldn't bother with.

Agreed, a lot "under" in many cases.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 09:11:53 +1000, "Tim" put finger to keyboard and composed:

Dick Smith are selling HDMI male-to-male 1.5m cables for AU$35 (CA1779) and $50 (C1779).

But for AU$369 (incl GST) you can upgrade to a 2m Monster cable (CA0902). It seems like a rip-off, but the 24 carat gold contacts allow for "increased power handling ... to deliver the full dynamic range of explosions and crashes found in today's movies" (the ones and zeroes require much more current at subwoofer frequencies). And the "heavy duty outer Duraflex protective jacket resists temperature extremes" such as those encountered in a typical Australian lounge room. And for the fashion aficionado, the cable features a "stylish, futuristic connector design inspired by Star Wars epics".

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Hopefully better than the crap foxtel installes .

Reply to
atec77

No need to take the piss . ok ?

Reply to
atec77

Or AU$25 for a 5 metre one from MSY, and other computer shops.

I assume you forgot the smiley.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

ROTFLOL.

You missed a 'p' in 'asking rice', but seeing you mentioned China, your sentence still makes sense. (or was that on purpose?) That makes for a cheap cable. And I agree with the common thought in this thread. I was making valve amplifiers loooong before some salesman came up with the "gold" or "silver" content in (very expensive) cables to improve a/v quality.

Bullshit

Argusy VK5CRC

Reply to
Argusy

Now you have done it! Your old mate "Lynx" will be on here soon extolling the virtues of overpriced cables and telling everyone how good they are and how he can see and hear the difference and how his pets are MUCH less affected by stray EMF's since he has spent so many $$$$ on his cables....

Reply to
Blutt

Is that spelt "Soundlink"?

Reply to
Poxy

On Wed, 4 Jul 2007 10:51:45 +1000, "Trevor Wilson" put finger to keyboard and composed:

I'm glad you mentioned this. I'm seeing a very high proportion of bad

3xRCA leads, Daichi brand, WES code VC50 or VC60. They typically break at the video connector.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

**Therein lies a big problem. The average consumer can never know what is good. Just suggesting "WES cables" is not enough. WES product range is large. Some of their stuff is crap and some is good. My suggestion to stick to the easily available DSE Harmony range remains. Every cable I've examined in the Harmony range is satisfactory.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au